Free Consultation: (646) 775-3455Tap to Call This Lawyer
Benjamin Z. Katz

Benjamin Z. Katz

Life Planning for Your Family the Right Way!
  • Estate Planning, Animal & Dog Law, Real Estate Law ...
  • New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial MediaResponsive Law

My goal is to form and maintain long term relationships with my clients. I am blessed to be a happy husband, a proud father and a joyful pet owner. I have always felt that a life well lived is one filled with connections to others.

Our lives are plagued with uncertainty. If you are single, married or in a relationship; if you have children, plan to have children or not; or if you have pets or charities that you wish to provide for, you need a plan to address that uncertainty. When you don't have a plan in place, state laws will control what happens to you and your family. I can help you formulate and implement a plan tailored to your needs and choices and then review that plan with you throughout your life to make changes as needed.

Eliminate uncertainty for your family should you become incapacitated or die. Protect and control your assets. But most importantly, leave a legacy of confidence and positivity for all your loved ones.

Presently, areas of practice include Estate Planning, Probate & Administration, Residential Real Estate, Guardianship and Animal Law.

I serve as a Consultant to several mortgage companies, having instructed real estate and mortgage licensees for many years and co-authored and edited several mortgage textbooks including Mortgage Lending Principles and Practices (6th, 7th and 8th edition).

I am a NYS Certified Real Estate Instructor. I am a member of the American Bar Association, the New York State Bar Association and the New York City Bar Association. I serve as a Volunteer Attorney for Free Legal Answers through the ABA as well as serving as a member of the Estate Planning Committee of the Senior Lawyers Division and serve on the New York City Bar Association's Consumer Affair Committee. I am an Attorney Member of the Animal Legal Defense Fund and support several charitable organizations.

Hofstra University
J.D. (1994) | Law
Hofstra University Logo
State University of New York - Stony Brook
B.A. (1991) | History
State University of New York - Stony Brook Logo
Professional Experience
Benjamin Katz, Esq. P.C.
- Current
Law Offices of Benjamin Z. Katz, Esq.
Articles & Publications
Mortgage Lending Principles and Practices, 8th Ed.
Hondros Learning
Speaking Engagements
Animal Law Issues 2022, 225 Eastview Drive, Central Islip, NY 11722
Touro Law School
Certified Real Estate Instructor
New York State Department of State
Professional Associations
New York City Bar Association
- Current
Activities: Consumer Affairs Committee Member
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
New York State Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Practice Areas
Estate Planning
Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
Animal & Dog Law
Real Estate Law
Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
Elder Law
  • English: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. My stepbrother and I are Executors of our parents estate. I am to get the house which is paid for & 25% of money.
A: When someone leaves a Will, the Executor must follow the instructions contained within. Normally debts are paid from the estate before distributions are made. I am confused about your statement that the house was sold in 2017 and property taxes are still due.
Q. can a will/or unofficial will be contested by a non family member ?
A: An Executor appointed by the Court is a fiduciary of the estate. They are required to follow the directives set forth in the Will which has been validated by the Court. There is no such thing as an unofficial Will. A Will may be contested by non-family members. However, they must demonstrate legal standing.
Q. I’m looking for a legal method that would give me the proper authority to manage my parent's care? Is a healthcare proxy
A: A Health Care Proxy would allow you to make health care decisions if your parents were unable to do so themselves. However, managing their care, paying expenses, and completing paperwork would require a Power of Attorney to be signed by your parents naming you as their agent. In both cases, your parents must have the ability to understand what they are signing and must express their desire to give you these powers. If they are unable to do so at this point, you will need to apply for Guardianship.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Contact & Map
Benjamin Katz, Esq. P.C.
52 Duane Street
7th Floor
New York, NY 10007
Telephone: (646) 775-3455
Fax: (646) 368-8323
Monday: 9 AM - 6 PM (Today)
Tuesday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Saturday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Sunday: Closed