Free Consultation: (631) 425-7299Tap to Call This Lawyer
Bonnie Lawston

Bonnie Lawston

Diligent experienced estate and probate attorney. Over 25 years of experience.
  • Probate, Estate Planning
  • Connecticut, Florida, New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial Media

We provide probate , estate administration and trust services to clients
that have a loved one that died a resident of New York, Long Island or has
real estate in New York but died in another state.

We also provide extensive estate planning services to our clients that reside in New York.

A large part of our practice is working with out-of-state executors, heirs,
beneficiaries and trustees who reside in Florida, Texas, New Jersey, North
and South Carolina, Maryland, and other U.S. states as it relates to the New
York or Florida Estate or Trust matter.

Touro Law School
Placeholder image for education.
Long Island University - C.W. Post Campus
B.A. (1989) | Criminal Justice
Honors: Criminal Justice Honors
Activities: President Criminal Justice Association - 2 years
Placeholder image for education.
Long Island University - C.W. Post Campus
B.A. (1989) | Criminal Justice
Honors: Criminal Justice Honors
Activities: President Criminal Justice Association - 2 years
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Experience
Law Office of Bonnie Lawston, P.C.
Certified Member
Guardian Ad Litem Panel for Surrogate Court in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.
Former Certified Member
18B Family and Criminal Court Panel for Suffolk County Courts,
Former Certified Member
Referee Panel for Nassau and Suffolk Counties.
Professional Associations
New York State Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State of Connecticut Judicial Branch
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
The Florida Bar
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
New York
New York State Office of Court Administration
ID Number: 2597169
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
    Initial consultations are free!
Practice Areas
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
    Estate Planning
    Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
Additional Practice Areas
  • Estate Administration
  • Fiduciary Rights and Duties
  • Fiduciary Commissions
  • Ancillary Estate & Administration Proceedings
  • Inheritance Rights
  • Intestacy Rights
  • Spousal Rights
  • Children's Rights
  • Kinship Proceedings
  • Estate litigation
  • Will Contests
  • Trust litigation
  • Trust Administration
  • Estate Planning - Wills, Trusts, Power of Attorney, Living Wills, Health Care Pr
  • Real estate closings - sales and purchases
  • Entertainment Client Personal Services
  • Corporate & Business Law
  • English: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. My dad passed on August 20 2021 and my mom passed on June 27 2021, i live in my dads house and have since 1995 this has
A: If the deed was held as husband and wife, with rights of survivorship, then it passes to the last spouse, your father who died after your mom. Your father’s children share in his estate. You can buy them out at fair market value and save on broker fees and other.
Q. Equal heir - before the house is sold, do I have rights of entry to review household items to be chosen from?
A: The executor is responsible for the administration of the estate. Thus, the executor can prohibit entry to the house if there are concerns that something will be taken without permission. If the item has a monetary value it should be paid for even if it’s an heir that wants the item so the funds go to the estate to be shared. If the heirs can’t agree or don’t want to buy the item then the executor should sell it to the highest bidder. If there is no monetary value, then the executor needs to divide the items fairly.
Q. Does pretermitted children include unborn nieces and nephews at time of the will or just children of the testator?
A: It depends on the language and intent of the testator if the additional Nieces and nephews take.
View More Answers
Social Media
Websites & Blogs
The Law Office of Bonnie Lawston-Legal Blog
Contact & Map
Law Office of Bonnie Lawston, P.C.
1841 New York Avenue
Huntington, NY 11746
Telephone: (631) 425-7299
Fax: (866) 431-0101
Monday: 9 AM - 8 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 8:30 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 10 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: 8 AM - 8 PM (Today)
Sunday: Closed
Notice: 24/7. You can always reach our attorneys. Leave a message and if after hours and it is an emergency, our attorneys will call you back.