Carol Jeney

Carol Jeney

  • Divorce, Family Law, Domestic Violence
  • New Jersey
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

The firm of Jeney & Jeney was founded in 2000 when my husband, Robert Jeney, and I decided to combine our then 22 years of legal experience at the time. We decided that after 25 years of marriage, we had long established ourselves as life partners, and we were more than ready to work together as law partners. On August 1, 2008, Sarah O'Connor was made a partner. The law firm is now known as Jeney, Jeney & O'Connor, LLC. We are a general practice firm, although Sarah and I practice primarily in the area of Family Law. My practice includes, but is not limited to, Divorce, Child Custody and Parenting Time, Child Support, Alimony and Spousal Support, Equitable Distribution of Assets, Domestic Violence, Adoption, Name Change and Simple Wills.

Robert practices in a variety of other areas.

Among other things, I am a former Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Miriam Span (1993-1994), I sit as a Panelist on the Superior Court of New Jersey Early Settlement Program in Union County, I am a former President of the Union County Bar Association (2010), and I am a member of the Barry Croland Family Inn of Court.

We give each client personalized attention to meet your SPECIFIC legal needs. We look forward to working with you and assisting you in resolving your legal problems.

Temple University Beasley School of Law
J.D. (1993) | Law
Temple University Beasley School of Law Logo
Rutgers University - New Brunswick/Piscataway
Political Science
Honors: High Honors
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
New Jersey State Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Women Lawyers in Union County
Past Officer
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Barry J. Croland Family Inn of Court
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Superior Court of New Jersey, Early Settlement Panel Program
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Union County Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New Jersey
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Practice Areas
Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
Family Law
Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
Domestic Violence
Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Victims Rights , Victims Rights
Additional Practice Areas
  • Child Custody and Parenting TIme
  • Child Support
  • Alimony and Spousal Support
  • Equitable Distribution of Assets
  • Adoption
  • Name Change
  • Simple Wills, Powers of Attorney, and Advance Directives for Health Care
Legal Answers
Q. If I receive child support no an I move to South Carolina do I have to notify the state I'm lea or going to?
A: Also, if the child's other parent agrees, you can enter into a Consent Order permitting you to leave the state without having to file an application with the court. You would just want to make absolutely that the order is drafted properly so that you are covered legally. However, I'm assuming that the other parent does not agree to your leaving the state with the child. The New Jersey Supreme Court just decided a case within the last couple of weeks that made new law regarding this issue. The standard the court must apply is "the best interests of the child".
Q. Is my ex wife responsible to pay her share of my health insurance deductible %25 of medical bills for my son ?
A: It really depends on what your Judgment of Divorce or Property Settlement Agreement provides. However, if your judgment or agreement is silent, the New Jersey Child Support Guidelines provide that once child support is calculated under the Guidelines, the "Custodial Parent", or the "Parent of Primary Residence" is responsible for the first $250 per child per year of unreimbursed health care expenditures (medical, dental, hospital, psychological, prescriptions, etc.).

If your Child Support Guidelines worksheet shows that your respective shares of the total combined net income is 75/25, or if that is what the two of you agreed to, then any unreimbursed medical expenses over and above the first $250 per child per year should be divided between the two of you in that proportion.

The cost of just the children's share of the health insurance premium (i.e., only the children of your marriage) should have been added to the Guidelines calculation which then causes the children's share of the premium to be divided between the two of you in proportion to your respective shares of the total combined net income, and this is taken into consideration in calculating the bottom line child support obligation.
... Read More
View More Answers
Contact & Map
1953 Westfield Ave
Scotch Plains, NJ 07076
Telephone: (908) 322-9191