Christopher A. Kerosky

Christopher A. Kerosky

Kerosky Purves & Bogue LLP Immigration and Business Law Firm
  • Business Law, Immigration Law
  • California
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

CHRISTOPHER A. KEROSKY has practiced law for over 30 years and has been recognized as one of the top immigration lawyers in Northern California for 10 years by “Super Lawyers”, most recently in 2020.

He graduated from University of California, Berkeley Law School and was a former counsel for the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington D.C.

Since 2013, Christopher serves as a Member of the Human Rights Commission for Sonoma County, appointed by the County Board of Supervisors to represent the 5th District. As part of his work with the Commission, Christopher helped found My American Dreams, a local non-profit devoted to community education and advocacy for immigrants.

From 2004 to 2019, Mr. Kerosky was serving as Honorary Consul for the Republic of Poland in San Francisco, and his SF office fulfilled the role of the Polish Consulate for the Bay Area. Mr. Kerosky was one of the longest serving members of the Consular Corps of San Francisco.

Christopher speaks Spanish and Polish fluently and conversational Russian and French.

He lives with his wife Mary and two children in Sonoma County.

Centre European de Luxembourg
Bachelor's degree | International Studies
Placeholder image for education.
Miami University of Ohio
B.A., B.Phil. | Political Science and Philosophy
Miami University of Ohio Logo
University of California, Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall)
J.D. | Law
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Experience
Kerosky Purves & Bogue LLP
Articles & Publications
The Supreme Court DACA Decision: What Does It Mean for DACA holders and potentially for DAPA?
Sonoma County Gazette
What can young people with DACA do if the Supreme Court allows DACA to end?
La Voz Bilingual Magazine
Can Medical Workers Get A Green Card?
Sonoma County Gazette
Donald Trump's Immigration “Freeze”: What it covers and what it doesn’t cover.
La Voz Bilingual Newspaper
How do I sponsor my family member to come to the U.S.
La Voz Bilingual Newspaper
Immigration Options for Victims of Violence Against Women.
Sonoma County Gazette
Applying for the Waiver of Inadmissibility (I601A)
La Voz Bilingual Newspaper
Can an immigrant get a green card by marrying a US Citizen?
Sonoma County Gazette
TN Visa for Mexican or Canadian Professionals (TN)
La Voz Bilingual Newspaper
Options if You Were Not Picked for the H-1b Lottery
La Voz Bilingual Newspaper
Naturalization: How to Apply and Succeed
La Voz Bilingual Newspaper
Speaking Engagements
Immigration Law: Methods of Obtaining Legal Status in the USA, Sonoma County Bar Association, Sonoma County
Sonoma County Bar Association
What You Need to Know About Immigration Today, Sonoma County Library, Sonoma County
Sonoma County Library
Immigration Issues for Employers, Sonoma County Bar Association, Business Law Section, Sonoma County
Sonoma County Bar Association, Business Law Section
Immigration: The Line That Divides Us,, Sonoma County
Sonoma West News
Asylum Law: An Introduction to the substantive and procedural law, Indivisible,!/details/Indivisible-Sonoma-County-April-General-Meeting/6488891/2019-04-23T17!/details/Indivisible-Sonoma-County-April-General-Meeting/6488891/2019-04-23T17
Super Lawyer - Top Rated Immigration Attorney in Northern California
Super Lawyers
Selected to Super Lawyers: 10 years (2006 - 2012, 2016 - 2020)
Attorney General's Trial Advocate Award
U.S. Department of Justice
This was one of two awards I won while serving as Trial Counsel for the Federal Programs Branch of the Civil Division, U.S. Department of Justice in Washington DC.
Attorney General's Special Achievement Award
U.S. Department of Justice
This was one of two awards I won while serving as Trial Counsel for the Federal Programs Branch of the Civil Division, U.S. Department of Justice in Washington DC.
Professional Associations
California State Bar  # 116586
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State Bar of California
ID Number: 116586
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Practice Areas
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
    Immigration Law
    Asylum, Citizenship, Deportation Defense, Family Visas, Green Cards, Immigration Appeals, Investment Visas, Marriage & Fiancé(e) Visas, Student Visas, Visitor Visas, Work Visas
  • French
  • Polish: Spoken
  • Russian
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. If I leave the US after my legal stay, but having I-539 VISA extension submitted, do I accumulate unlawful days?
A: If you leave the U.S. within the time requested in your I539 (so long as it is no more than 180 days) and before you have received a decision on your request, then you have not accumulated unlawful presence.
Q. Filed I-485 /I-130, 3 weeks be4 my tourist visa expires.If I don't receive a receipt notice be4 expiry,should i leave US
A: If you have filed the adjustment of status application (I485) properly, then your stay in the U.S. is automatically extended until there is a decision on your application, and you have no need to leave the country before your tourist visa stay expires. In fact, if you leave the U.S., you will be "abandoning" your adjustment of status application and you would have to file all over again for permanent residence. You should keep a record of the application and any receipt from FedEx or UPS on delivery prior to the visa expiration.
Q. Does my fiancée need to move in with me when we get married to start her U.S. citizenship process?
A: Your fiancee can certainly apply for residence once you get married. The process can take between 12-24 months depending on where you live and other factors regarding her immigration history. During that time, I would recommend that you move in to the same residence and I could advise you on other steps to convince the immigration or consular officials that your marriage relationship is bona fide. In my experience, I have had great success getting cases like this approved if they are well-documented.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
English language blog
Spanish language blog
Contact & Map
Kerosky Purves & Bogue LLP
131A Stony Cir Ste 475
Suite 475
Santa Rosa, CA 95401
Telephone: (707) 433-2060
Monday: 8 AM - 6 PM
Tuesday: 8 AM - 6 PM
Wednesday: 8 AM - 6 PM
Thursday: 8 AM - 6 PM
Friday: 8 AM - 6 PM
Saturday: Closed (Today)
Sunday: Closed
Kerosky Purves & Bogue LLP
1311 1st Street
Napa, CA 94559
Telephone: (707) 224-2722
Cell: (707) 433-2060
Kerosky Purves & Bogue LLP
111 North Market St
Suite 300
San Jose, CA 95113
Toll-Free: (707) 433-2060
Telephone: (415) 944-3897
Kerosky Purves & Bogue LLP
1801 Oakland Blvd
Suite 220
Walnut Creek, CA 94596
Toll-Free: (707) 433-2060
Telephone: (415) 944-3897
Kerosky Purves & Bogue LLP
770 L Street
Suite 950
Sacramento, CA 95814
Telephone: (916) 349-2900
Cell: (707) 433-2060
Kerosky Purves & Bogue LLP
4040 Civic Center Drive
Suite 200
San Rafael, CA 94903
Telephone: (415) 944-3897
Cell: (707) 433-2060
Kerosky Purves & Bogue LLP
142 Sansome Street
Suite 500
San Francisco, CA 94103
Telephone: (415) 944-3897
Cell: (707) 433-2060
Fax: (415) 778-8123
Kerosky Purves & Bogue LLP
308 S. School Street
Suite 200
Ukiah, CA 95482
Telephone: (707) 376-1010
Cell: (707) 433-2060