Free Consultation: (707) 360-1009Tap to Call This Lawyer
Dan Rowan Cortright

Dan Rowan Cortright

Seasoned litigator with experience in many fields of law
  • Personal Injury, Business Law, Insurance Claims ...
  • California
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Experienced litigator with 20+ years' experience in a variety of legal fields, including personal injury, products liability, real estate, landlord-tenant, breach of contract, business disputes/litigation, construction defect/contracts law, employment law, commercial litigation, pre-litigation disputes/resolutions, mediations/arbitrations.

University of San Francisco School of Law
J.D. (1999) | Law
University of San Francisco School of Law Logo
University of California - Los Angeles
B.A. (1995) | Political Science
Activities: Cycling Team Director
University of California - Los Angeles Logo
Professional Experience
Principal Attorney
The Rowan Firm
- Current
Owner/Principal attorney at full-service law offices managed/run by myself, representing a variety of clients in many different legal fields.
Senior Counsel
Tyson Mendes
Represented insurance, contractor and business clients in a variety of matters.
Senior Counsel
O'Brien Law
Represented insurers in variety of claim disputes (personal injury, property damage, etc.).
Associate Attorney
Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith
Acted as local national counsel for insurer in toxic tort litigation.
Senior Associate Attorney
Walsworth Franklin Bevins & McCall LLP
Handled all aspects of litigation practice, including representation of insurance carriers and San Francisco Housing Authority, supervised 9 associates for one insurance client.
Associate Attorney
Jeffer Mangels Butler & Marmaro LLP
Represented secured creditors in bankruptcy and loan workouts.
Professional Associations
State Bar of California  # 206856
Placeholder image for professional associations.
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State Bar of California
ID Number: Bar # 206856
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
9th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Payment accepted by Zelle, Venmo and PayPal.
Practice Areas
Personal Injury
Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
Business Law
Business Contracts, Business Litigation, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
Insurance Claims
Bad Faith Insurance, Business Insurance, Motor Vehicle Insurance, Property Insurance
Construction Law
Construction Contracts, Construction Defects, Construction Liens, Construction Litigation
Products Liability
Motor Vehicle Defects, Toxic Torts
Landlord Tenant
Evictions, Housing Discrimination, Landlord Rights, Tenants' Rights
Arbitration & Mediation
Business - Arbitration/Mediation, Consumer - Arbitration/Mediation
Civil Rights
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Discrimination, Employment, Fair Housing, Privacy Law
Consumer Law
Elder Law
Employment Law
Employment Contracts, Employment Discrimination, Overtime & Unpaid Wages, Sexual Harassment, Whistleblower, Wrongful Termination
Insurance Defense
Real Estate Law
Commercial Real Estate, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate
  • English: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. If the plaintiff's fail to amend a cause of action is it automatically dismissed or do I have to submit a request?
A: It depends on whether the court has ordered them to amend, for example after a demurrer was sustained or a motion to strike was granted. If the court issued one of these orders (e.g. demurrer sustained with leave to amend), the order usually says how long they have to amend their cause of action. Some orders provide that if not amended it will be stricken by the court, but some do not and you may have to submit a Request for Dismissal to accomplish that.
Q. If someone sells the property out of garage that I am renting for storage, without notifying me, what lawyer do I need?
A: Any civil litigation attorney should be able to handle a lawsuit asserting a cause of action for conversion of your personal property and breach of oral contract (provided the breach occurred less than 2 years ago). The text messages, so long as they confirm the material details of the agreement, can serve as a written contract, in which case you have 4 years from the date of breach to sue on that.
Q. Do I have any recourse for getting back money I paid to an unlicensed CA contractor who I fired for poor quality work?
A: In addition to what Mr. Arrasmith said, there are specific statutes in CA that provide remedies and civil penalties for those who have hired unlicensed contractors. These state that you are permitted to recover all money you paid to the unlicensed contractor regardless of whether you knew they were unlicensed at the time you hired them and for a possible award of your attorneys' fees to recover that money, as well as additional civil penalties against the contractor up to $10,000.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
The Rowan Firm
Contact & Map
The Rowan Firm
P.O. BOX 2061
Sebastopol, CA 95473
Telephone: (707) 360-1009
Monday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed