Free Consultation: (619) 981-9627Tap to Call This Lawyer
Derek J. Poulsen

Derek J. Poulsen

Wilner & O'Reilly | Immigration Lawyers - San Diego
  • Immigration Law
  • Iowa, Nebraska
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Derek Poulsen is the managing attorney at Wilner & O’Reilly, APLC San Diego location. He is admitted to the Iowa State Bar and the Nebraska State Bar. Mr. Poulsen focuses his practice on removal defense cases where he represents clients before the Immigration Court and on appeal with the Board of Immigration Appeals. He graduated from Utah State University where he earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology with a Minor in Spanish. He earned his Juris Doctor degree from Creighton University School of Law. During law school, he was selected to be on Creighton’s National Trial Team and earned the Honorable Lyle E. Strom Trial Advocacy Award. Derek previously worked at the immigration law office of Jason Finch and Associates, PC, LLO, in Omaha, Nebraska. During his time there his practice included criminal defense. He gained valuable knowledge of the negative immigration consequences that differing criminal activity has on an individual’s ability to remain in the United States. He also worked on family based immigration, U-Visas, Special Immigrant Juvenile Visas, and 601/601A waivers. While in Nebraska Derek provided pro bono legal service at the Latino Center of the Midlands where he provided legal advice to immigrants. Having lived in Peru he has a great love for the Hispanic culture and is fluent in Spanish. While not at work Derek enjoys spending time with his wife and four children, traveling, building things with his hands, and attempting to golf.

Creighton University School of Law
J.D. (2014) | Law School
Honors: Exceptional Skills in Litigation Theory and Practice
Creighton University School of Law Logo
Utah State University
B.S. (2005) | Sociology
Utah State University Logo
Professional Experience
Managing Attorney
Wilner & O'Reilly | Immigration Lawyers - San Diego
- Current
Wilner & O'Reilly | Immigration Lawyers - Orange
Jason Finch and Associates, PC. LLO
Law Clerk
Jason Finch and Associates, PC. LLO
Legal Intern
Utah First District Court
Articles & Publications
Adjustment of Status Following Entry into The United States With Either C-1 Or C-1/D Visa
Wilner & O'Reilly Blog
Wilner & O'Reilly Blog
Speaking Engagements
Immigration Updates, Downey, CA
Desert Reign Church
Exceptional Skills in Litigation Theory and Practice
Creighton University School of Law
Professional Associations
Nebraska State Bar Association  # 26276
Placeholder image for professional associations.
J. Reuben Clark Law Society
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Supreme Court of Iowa
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Nebraska State Bar Association
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Practice Area
Immigration Law
Asylum, Citizenship, Deportation Defense, Family Visas, Green Cards, Immigration Appeals, Investment Visas, Marriage & Fiancé(e) Visas, Student Visas, Visitor Visas, Work Visas
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Portuguese: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. Does my fiancée need to move in with me when we get married to start her U.S. citizenship process?
A: In short, yes you can file the paperwork even if you don't live together but I would not recommend it. The bigger question is whether the application will be approved? You will have an interview during the process and the officer will want to know if you are in a bona fide marriage. If you are not living together this can raise some red flags and the application may even be denied. There are many things to consider when applying to adjust status so it is recommended that you speak with an immigration attorney before doing anything.
Q. I became a US citizen through naturalization last December and, Now I am having a baby outside US and I am out of US to?
A: The law states that a child born outside of the United States acquires citizenship at birth if at the time of the child's birth both of the following requirements are met:

1) One parent is an alien and the other parent is a U.S. citizen; and​

2) The U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the United States for at least 5 years, including at least 2 years after 14 years of age.

I would need more information to give you a definite answer but from what you have provided it appears there is a high likelihood your child will be a US citizen at birth.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Wilner & O'Reilly | Immigration Lawyers
Wilner and O’Reilly – Immigration Lawyers
Contact & Map
Wilner & O'Reilly
101 W. Broadway
Suite 300
San Diego, CA 92101
Telephone: (619) 981-9627
Fax: (858) 746-5085
Monday: 9 AM - 5:30 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5:30 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5:30 PM (Today)
Thursday: 9 AM - 5:30 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5:30 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed