Free Consultation: (973) 467-4040Tap to Call This Lawyer
Elena K. Weitz

Elena K. Weitz

Experienced and dedicated divorce and family law attorney
  • Divorce, Family Law, Domestic Violence ...
  • New Jersey, New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Elena K. Weitz, Esq. is a Partner at the Williams Law Group, focusing her practice on all aspects of family, divorce and post-divorce matters including child support, alimony, custody, and domestic violence, in addition to providing legal services related to general civil litigation, contract, estate and municipal matters.

Ms. Weitz earned a Bachelor’s degree in Sociology and Psychology from Franklin & Marshall college and her Juris Doctor from Seton Hall University School of Law. While at Seton Hall, Ms. Weitz was the recipient of the Seton Hall University School of Law Public Interest Fellowship, and she was chosen to participate in the Courtroom Advocates Project. During law school, Ms. Weitz interned for the Honorable Philip B. Cummis, J.S.C., a now-retired Family Part judge in Essex County, and for the New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG), providing services in the family and matrimonial department with a focus on domestic violence matters.

Ms. Weitz is admitted to practice in New Jersey (admitted in 2005) and New York (admitted in 2006), and is a member of the New York Bar Association, New Jersey Bar Association, Essex County Bar Association and Union County Bar Association.

Seton Hall University School of Law
J.D. (2005)
Seton Hall University School of Law Logo
Franklin & Marshall College
B.A. | Psychology and Sociology
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Experience
Senior Associate
Grayson and Associates, LLC
Law Offices of Bonny G. Rafel
Articles & Publications
State v. Duprey
Leingang v. Leingang
Nixon v. Nixon
Domestic Violence Restraining Order Held Improper for Casual Relationship
New Jersey Law Journal
C.K. v. A.P.
Hatcher v. Haddidou
Professional Associations
New Jersey Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Union County Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Women Lawyers of Union County
Placeholder image for professional associations.
New Jersey Volunteer Lawyers for Justice
Provide pro bono services
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New Jersey
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Practice Areas
Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
Family Law
Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
Domestic Violence
Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Victims Rights , Victims Rights
Appeals & Appellate
Civil Appeals, Federal Appeals
  • English
Legal Answers
Q. My ex lives in NJ, I live on the New York side NY/NJ border. Can my ex stop me from marrying & moving about an hour away
A: The standard in New Jersey for relocation is a detrmination of what is in the child’s best interest. The happiness of the custodial parent is not the primary consideration. The child’s best interest involves consideration of multiple factors related to child’s quality of life and contact with both parents and extended family. Relocation cases typically involve a plenary hearing which is proceeding similar a trial. You do bring up other issues such as the fact that you (and presumably the child) have been residing in NY for the past year, which may bring up juridsictional issues, but more details would be needed to see if that would be of any benefit to your case. Relocation matters are complicated and I suggest retaining an experienced family law attorney to discuss this matter and determine the right course of action for you. ... Read More
Q. I have not receive CS for 4 months. What should I do?
A: My question would be whether you went to court on a motion of your own before a Judge or if the probation department held an enforcement hearing with a hearing officer. Depending on the circumstances, I would say file a motion to place him on a one-missed payment status, request a warrant for his arrest, have his license suspended, seek wage garnishment, and many other options. You should consult with an attorney to discuss the details and history of your case and what you can do to obtain payment of child support.
Q. I am the caregiver of my 6 month baby and her father been there but can he bring her for over nite if she is so little?
A: Overnight visitations can take place for a child 6 months old. A verbal agreement is not valid, however. You need to get everything in writing and signed by both parties. The best way to go is to have an attorney write a court order with all the terms you agree on and then both of you sign and it gets sent to the court to be signed by a judge. You can also set down who has legal and residential custody. Please think about seeing an family law attorney to do this. Your verbal agreement won’t hold up if the father decides not to follow it, it must be in writing.
View More Answers
Social Media
Websites & Blogs
Contact & Map
33 Bleeker Street
Millburn, NJ 07041
Telephone: (973) 467-4040