Elizabeth Crego

Elizabeth Crego

The Law Office of Elizabeth M. Crego
  • Landlord Tenant, Collections
  • Virginia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Located in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria, The Law Office of Elizabeth M. Crego is a small practice geared towards giving personal, affordable legal counsel in both English and Spanish to people in Northern Virginia. Ms. Crego advises on landlord/ tenant, creditor/ debtor, and homeowners association (HOA)/ condominium law matters.

Prior to opening her solo law practice, Ms. Crego volunteered as a pro bono attorney with the Legal Aid Justice Center and Legal Services of Northern Virginia (and she continues to assist in pro bono matters for these organizations), assisting with bankruptcy, housing, and family law matters. From 2011 to 2014, Ms. Crego lived in Mexico City and assisted a Mexican law firm with the editing and translating English language legal documents and advising on US legal concepts. She worked with a boutique homeowners association law firm from 2007 through 2010, representing clients in debt collection, general litigation, and in filing bankruptcy claims. While studying law at George Mason University School of Law in Arlington, VA, she worked at the Commonwealth Attorney’s Office in Alexandria, assisting the attorneys with the arraignment and traffic dockets, researching criminal records, and in preparing briefs for appeals. Outside of the legal profession, she also has experience working as a government contractor in Washington DC.

Ms. Crego is a native of Northern Virginia and enjoys living in Alexandria with her husband and three young children.

George Mason University School of Law
J.D. (2007)
Placeholder image for education.
Brigham Young University
B.A. (2001) | English
Honors: Cum Laude
Brigham Young University Logo
Professional Experience
The Law Office of Elizabeth M. Crego
- Current
English Language Legal Consultant
Sanchez Devanny
Associate Attorney
Segan Mason & Mason
Chief Law Clerk
Alexandria City Commonwealth's Attorney
Professional Associations
Virginia State Bar  # 74797
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Del Ray Business Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Alexandria Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
J. Reuban Clark Law Society
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Fairfax Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Not Currently Accepting Clients
Practice Areas
    Landlord Tenant
    Evictions, Housing Discrimination, Landlord Rights, Rent Control, Tenants' Rights
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. I bought a place, rented it for a few months, lease is up, she is late but won't go. I need to move in my place
A: I think there are some details that need to be considered before determining what you can do. You said your lease is up, but it's unclear as to whether the lease for the property you own is up. If it is not, you will have to wait until the end of the lease period unless she fails to pay rent or breaches the lease agreement in another way. Note that eviction for failure to pay rent may be significantly more complicated now due to COVID-19 emergency procedures. If the lease is up and she is holding over, the process would likely be much simpler. I suggest reaching out to a landlord tenant attorney in your area to go over the details and get more comprehensive advice.
Q. I have a tenant who is late on rent the last few months. I have given her time considering COVID situation. Options?
A: You can proceed with giving her a 5 day pay or vacate notice, and then filing an Unlawful Detainer in court five days after she receives that notice. The Unlawful Detainer, if granted by a judge, gives you the right to file a Writ for Eviction, which is what the sheriff uses to evict her. There are some procedural things to take into consideration, some of which have changed or will change due to COVID. I would at least check with the local court for their procedures before beginning this process, and I recommend speaking with an attorney to talk about your specific situation. Also, you do have the right, as the landlord, to enter the property. You have to give reasonable (at least 24 hours) notice to the tenant before entering. She does not have to be there and does not have to meet you to discuss the rent issue, but she is legally obligated to pay rent.
Q. Tenant is not picking up Phone calls and not responding to texts or emails asking for rent
A: I agree with Mr. Maloof. I would also add that you have the right to enter the property after giving reasonable notice to the tenant (at least 24 hours notice). You can't just knock on the door and walk right in, but the tenant has to let you in if you give them notice you are coming by.
View More Answers