Free Consultation: (207) 228-1870Tap to Call This Lawyer
Elliott R. Teel

Elliott R. Teel

Teel Law Office, LLC
  • Real Estate Law, Business Law, Estate Planning ...
  • Maine
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

I provide legal services for individuals and small businesses throughout southern Maine. I offer legal analysis and litigation services on real property issues. I represent buyers and sellers in real estate transactions. For business owners I can assist with formation, contract and general consulting matters. For many matters I offer services at flat-rate pricing.

UDC David A. Clarke School of Law
J.D. (2006)
UDC David A. Clarke School of Law Logo
St. Lawrence University
B.A. (1995) | Environmental Studies and Sociology
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Experience
Portland Independent Business and Community Alliance
Professional Associations
Maine State Bar  # 004222
Placeholder image for professional associations.
District of Columbia Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    I offer several services at a flat rate - please see my website for more information.
Practice Areas
Real Estate Law
Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
Business Law
Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
Estate Planning
Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
Intellectual Property
  • English
Legal Answers
Q. My father in law owns a parcel of land he inherited from his father. The man who owns the adjacent property has put up
A: There are a couple of issues here. First is if the easement is in the deeds, and what the stated scope of it is. If there is clear language in the deed granting the right-of-way that is being blocked, then there are grounds to sue. If the right-off-way is only based on past use, that is more difficult to address. As to who can sue, generally, it would be the owner of the land who has standing to sue. If you have a written purchase agreement, that might give you standing to sue also.
Q. Rent to own contract question
A: I agree with Fred, but further, if the agreement was prepared in accordance with Maine's land installment contracts law, they can't simply evict you. I would suggest having an attorney review the agreement to clarify your rights.
Q. What are the rules about people walking on a beach that's owned by a private landowner?
A: If there are no easement rights to walk on the beach or any other basis for permission, then it is essentially trespassing. You need to be sure that the beach is part of the land that is owned, and that should be provided for in the property deed. No Trespassing signs can be posted, and even fencing to block access.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Teel Law Office
Contact & Map
615 Congress St
Suite 510
Portland, ME 04101
Telephone: (207) 228-1870