After teaching High School, I had a desire to help people in a different way. I attended law school in Fresno, California, at San Joaquin College of Law, beginning 1989. I married Toni the same year! I completed law school in 1992. I began practicing Estate Planning and Probate law.
I discovered that I was far more inclined to practice Bankruptcy Law. My wife and I have a mutual love for people, so we felt that the direction we were pointed in was to use my gifts in guiding folks through Bankruptcy. I have found Bankruptcy to be very rewarding! My teaching background and my love for God enable me to give very sensitive treatment to people who are experiencing a difficult time in life. Toni helps me by running the office and just being a great friend to everybody who walks through our door. We make a great team together!
If you feel as though you need someone to help and guide you through complicated Bankruptcy matters, my 20 years of experience will give you great confidence and genuine insight and a peaceful understanding of the decisions you make with proper teaching. We would love to share a very generous 1-2 hour free consultation!
- California St Univ Long Beach
- Undergraduate Degree
- San Joaquin COL
- Law Degree
- California State University - Dominguez Hills
- Three Teaching Credentials | Physical and Life Sciences and History
- I taught school in South-Central Los Angeles full-time while I attended Education courses full-time. I finished in two semesters.
- Adjunct Professor of Paralegalism
- Fresno City College
- I teach principles of Bankruptcy law in one class and Principles of Collection Law in another class at this Community College.
- Central California Bankruptcy Association
- Member, former officer.
- - Current
- Activities: The association is the largest in the Central Valley that focuses exclusively on Bankruptcy. It consists of many professionals, including Debtor Bankruptcy attorneys like me, Creditor attorneys, bankers, Receivers and Certified Public Accountants.
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- - Current
- Activities: This is the largest national organization of lawyers who are strictly consumer attorneys who practice Bankruptcy Law. It is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and offers outstanding continuing education opportunities for those who are dedicated to becoming better consumer Bankruptcy attorneys. This organization, with over 3,700 members, is the most important voice for people who need Bankruptcy protection, and without this organization, there would be worse Bankruptcy laws. AS an organization, we fight together to create better interpretations of the law. Many of us contribute to a fund that enables the organization help solo attorneys who are facing giant banks on matters of importance to many people. An attorney who is serious about filing Bankruptcy for people ought to belong to this organization!
- California State Bar # 171824
- - Current
- 9th Circuit
- Free Consultation
I offer at least one hour of free consultation for Bankruptcy and Estate Planning. Sometimes meetings will take longer, and I rarely charge unless we discover that Bankruptcy is not the right way to go and that there is a better way to take care of matters. I often offer free letters for people who do not need to file Bankruptcy. These letters force creditors to stop calling or writing you. In that case, I do not charge for extra time.
- Contingent Fees
I can only accept contingent fees for Consumer Law. In Chapter 7, once I have been hired, it is necessary for all anticipated fees to be paid before we file your case. That is because you are discharging all your debt incurred before you file, including anything owed to me! I am not allowed to collect after the Bankruptcy has been filed, except in rare circumstances. Chapter 13 is different. I usually ask for 1/2 my fee before we file, plus the filing fee, and then I will be paid the other 1/2 from the money that my client pays to the Chapter 13 Trustee. This makes it a little easier for the client to get their Chapter 13 started.
- Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
I pay for my clients' Credit Reports. Since I want to be sure they get the best credit reports possible, I pay $38 per person for a Three-Agency report. Nearly every Bankruptcy filer has to take a special credit counseling course approved by the government before they can file Bankruptcy. Then they also have to take a Debtor Education course after the case is filed. I highly recommend taking Dave Ramsey's course. My clients pay for their own credit counseling and Debtor Education certificates. They each cost approximately $25 for a single person and $5 more for a married couple. I recommend courses that I have actually taken with clients, so I know they are very good and interesting!
- Estate Planning
- Consumer Law
- Office Website