Free Consultation: (203) 635-8249Tap to Call This Lawyer
Gerald Shea

Gerald Shea

Call us for help with probate issues and effective estate planning.
  • Probate, Estate Planning
  • New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial Media

I am an experienced attorney and work diligently to provide my clients and their families with peace of mind. I handle estate planning and probate matters throughout Connecticut and New York, and tax matters worldwide.

New York University School of Law
LL.M. (1991) | Taxation
New York University School of Law Logo
University of Connecticut School of Law
J.D. (1985) | Law
Honors: cum laude
University of Connecticut School of Law Logo
Duke University
B.A. (1981) | Economics/History
Honors: Magna Cum Laude
Activities: Tobacco Road Magazine
Duke University Logo
College of the Holy Cross
Activities: Sailing Team
College of the Holy Cross Logo
Professional Experience
Shea & Shea
- Current
Attorney Advisor
U.S. Tax Court
Professional Associations
Connecticut Bar Association
Activities: Tax Law Section and Estates and Probate Section
Placeholder image for professional associations.
New York State Bar  # 2435196
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State of Connecticut Judicial Branch
ID Number: 303787
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Practice Areas
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
  • English
Legal Answers
Q. Can the probate court have the authority to "claw" back funds improperly distributed prior to probate?
A: It is difficult to get a probate court to exercise jurisdiction over accounts passing by way of beneficiary designation. Such assets are technically "non-probate" assets. A separate action can, however, be brought in Superior Court for undue influence or lack of capacity in transferring assets into the passbook accounts. This requires evidence of improper actions surrounding the actual the transfer. The money is gone and bank contract is implicated. Recovery is thus difficult, absent solid evidence of undue influence with respect to the accounts.
Q. Probate
A: Joint accounts and real estate held jointly in survivorship do not require CT probate. However, an estate tax return is due 6 months from date of death, but that is a different issue (See Form 706NT (nontaxable estate) and Form 706 (taxable estate).
Q. Hello I live in Ct & so did my dad when he was passed away,with no will. How do me my mom & sister claim ownership?
A: Your mother, if she was married to your father, would typically file a petition to be appointed as "Administrator" of your father's estate. This is done at the probate court for the town where your father resided at the time of death. A death certificate is required, as well as the names and addresses of spouse and all children. You or your siblings can file the petition as well, but it often the wife who signs. After reviewing the petition, the court will notify all heirs of a hearing or opportunity to object to the appointment. If there is no objection, the petition is granted and then the newly appointed Administrator may access accounts and gather all the assets to distribute to the heirs at law, which would be your mother, your sister and you. Spouse gets first $100k, and 50% of the balance; the children get the rest. If the children are from another relationship, then the estate is divided 50% to the wife and 50% to the children.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Contact & Map
Shea & Shea
Toll-Free: (203) 635-8249
Fax: (203) 439-3485
Monday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed