Jennifer Smock focuses on debtors' rights counseling. Bankruptcy can be an important tool that helps those overburdened with debt to get a fresh financial start. Bankruptcy can stop foreclosure on a house, eviction from a rental, prevent repossession of a car or other property, stop wage garnishment or debt collection harassment, aid in avoidance of liens, and prevent termination of utility services. Bankruptcy can also help reduce and eliminate high medical bills, provide help for large amounts of student loan debt, and challenge claims of fraudulent creditors.
Jen has handled hundreds of Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy filings from all over the country. Working two years in the legal compliance department for a national auto finance company gave Jen specialized insight into bankruptcy from the creditors standpoint -- from Proof of Claim filing to contesting Discharge. Jen supports the right to file bankruptcy and the policies to ensure that the bankruptcy process works as intended - to provide debtors a new beginning. Whether you file for Liquidation (Chapter 7) or Reorganization (Chapter 13) you can feel confident with Jen on your side.
Jen balances her bankruptcy service practice with consumer law and general civil litigation. Her consumer law litigation practice includes representation in mortgage foreclosure defense, class actions, unfair debt collection, deceptive advertising, warranty fraud, auto-dealer fraud, truth-in-lending, predatory lending, payday lending, unfair credit reporting, identity theft, and tenant's rights. She also worked for Hanes & Associates, P.L.L.C., which focused on legal issues related to Construction Law, including mortgage and promissory note negotiation, lease agreements, and lien avoidance.
- Michigan State University
- J.D. (2007) | Law
- Activities: Elected to the Student Bar Association, served as Section Representative, Vice President, and Social Director
- University of Utah
- B.S. (2002) | Political Science and Sociology
- Honors: Certificate in Criminology
- Activities: Active member of Alpha Chi Omega sorority, ASUU, and covered sports for the Daily Utah Chronicle
- Smock Law PLLC
- - Current
- Owner and founder of Smock Law PLLC located in Salt Lake City, UT
- American Red Cross - Greater Salt Lake Area Chapter
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- Construction Law
- English: Spoken, Written