Jered Dobbs

Jered Dobbs

The Law Office of Jered Dobbs, PLLC
  • Immigration Law
  • Texas
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Jered Dobbs is an experienced immigration lawyer based in Dallas, Texas. His practice covers all aspects of immigration law, including deportation defense, immigration appeals, marriage and family-based green cards, citizenship matters, and litigation of immigration cases in federal district court (mandamus, habeas corpus, etc.). Mr. Dobbs also handles all kinds of business and investor visas (TN, E-1, E-2, O, P, etc.).

University of Houston - Main Campus
J.D. (2009) | Law
Activities: University of Houston Immigration Clinic Houston Business and Tax Law Journal
University of Houston - Main Campus Logo
Texas A&M University - College Station
B.A. (2006) | English
Honors: Summa Cum Laude Phi Beta Kappa
Texas A&M University - College Station Logo
Professional Experience
Founder and Managing Attorney
The Law Office of Jered Dobbs, PLLC
- Current
Associate Attorney
Davis & Associations
Associate Attorney
Verdin Law Firm
Attorney Advisor
U.S. Department of Justice, Dallas Immigration Court
Articles & Publications
Crimmigration Update: Recent Changes
Dallas Bar Association
Speaking Engagements
Wrongful Arrest and Removal Proceedings, AILA Dallas Chapter Meeting, Dallas, TX
University of North Texas International Student & Scholar Services
Immigration Options After Graduation, University of North Texas International Student & Scholar Services, University of North Texas
University of North Texas International Student & Scholar Services
Career Counseling and Hiring International Students, MAC3 Summer 2016 Drive-In Professional Conference, Lewisville, TX
The Metroplex Area Consortium of Career Centers
Alternatives to the H-1B: Traditional and Entrepreneurial Immigration Strategies, University of North Texas
UNT International Student Office
Texas Super Lawyers Rising Star 2019
Super Lawyers
Selected by Texas Super Lawyers as a 2019 Rising Star.
Professional Associations
State Bar of Texas  # 24069618
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Dallas Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
5th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
United States District Court, Northern District of Texas
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Practice Area
Immigration Law
Asylum, Citizenship, Deportation Defense, Family Visas, Green Cards, Immigration Appeals, Investment Visas, Marriage & Fiancé(e) Visas, Student Visas, Visitor Visas, Work Visas
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. I'm a green card holder and started filling out the N400 form for citizenship. My green card expires 2/2020.
A: I recommend you complete the N-400 and then also file an I-90 to renew the green card. You remain a permanent resident regardless of whether your green card is expired or not, but obviously an expired green card can make it difficult to get work, renew driver's licenses, travel abroad, etc. So I usually recommend filing the I-90 even if you are also filing the N-400 (though it's not required).

The temporary stamp you are referring to is based on having filed the I-90 rather than the N-400. If you file an I-90 and the new card is not issued prior to the expiration of your current green card, you can call the USCIS National Customer Service Center and schedule an INFOPASS appointment, where they will stamp your passport to show you are a permanent resident with a pending I-90. The stamp is valid for work, travel, etc.

The IR7 marked on your card is only relevant if you think you may have automatically derived US citizenship from your father under the Child Citizenship Act. This law states that "A child born outside of the United States automatically becomes a citizen of the United States when all of the following conditions have been fulfilled:

-At least one of the child’s parents is a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization;

-The child is under 18 years of age;

-The child is residing in or has resided in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent pursuant to a lawful admission for permanent residence."

If all of those things happened while you were under 18, then you actually would not need to file an N-400, but an N-600 and a US passport application. Otherwise, N-400 is the way to go.
... Read More
Q. My I-130 is still under process, but visa bulletin dates are current, can I file I-485?
A: The answer on this is generally yes, assuming you have otherwise maintained lawful immigration status in the US and have not worked without authorization. Keep in mind also that when to file the I-485 is governed not only by the Visa Bulletin, but also the USCIS Adjustment of Status Filing Chart ( The latter indicates whether family-based and employment-based adjustment applicants should use the Date for Filing Chart or the Final Action Date chart from the Visa Bulletin. For July 2019 and for August 2019 as well, USCIS has authorized F2A applicants to use the Final Action Date chart, which as you noted has gone current. So it's a great time right now for F2A applicants to file the I-485, and I'm urging my clients in this situation to file the I-485 asap. ... Read More
Q. Master Hearing in Removal Proceedings
A: Strictly speaking, you are a permanent resident all the way up until an immigration judge revokes your green card and orders you removed, so in theory you could still travel. However, I would say travel is very high risk under the circumstances, as you could risk detention upon reentry, amongst other things. My general recommendation is that permanent residents in removal proceedings stay put.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Contact & Map
The Law Office of Jered Dobbs, PLLC
7929 Brookriver, Suite 640
Dallas, TX 75247
Telephone: (972) 855-8267
Fax: (972) 637-7600