Jeremy R. James

Jeremy R. James

Southwest Portland Law Group, LLC
  • Real Estate Law, Elder Law, Business Law ...
  • Oregon
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I handle civil litigation, business, real estate, and fiduciary litigation matters. For litigation matters, my focus is Oregon state court, although I also appear in Oregon Federal District Court. I am well-versed in all phases of litigation and comfortable taking a case to trial. Given the risk and expense of litigation, many cases settle before trial. I have participated in numerous mediations and judicial settlement conferences. However, sometimes settlement does not make sense and a client needs their day in court. I thoroughly enjoy the challenges and complexities that trial brings and feel at ease in the courtroom.

When it comes to transactional matters, I help clients with all sorts of legal issues, particularly in real estate, homeowners associations, and business. One of the best parts of my job is meeting new clients, learning all about their legal issues, and putting a plan in place to solve problems in an efficient and advantageous manner.

Lewis & Clark Law School
J.D. (2012) | Law
Honors: Cum Laude, Cornelius Honor Society, Keller Business Scholar
Activities: Articles Editor, Lewis and Clark Law Review
Lewis & Clark Law School Logo
University of Colorado - Boulder
B.A. (2004) | English Literature
University of Colorado - Boulder Logo
Professional Experience
Southwest Portland Law Group, LLC
- Current
Associate Attorney
Merrill & Ropp, LLP
Associate Attorney
Cosgrave Vergeer Kester, LLP
Professional Associations
Oregon State Bar  # 123506
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Practice Areas
Real Estate Law
Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
Elder Law
Business Law
Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
Insurance Claims
Bad Faith Insurance, Business Insurance, Disability Insurance, Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Motor Vehicle Insurance, Property Insurance
Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
Estate Planning
Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
Landlord Tenant
Evictions, Housing Discrimination, Landlord Rights, Rent Control, Tenants' Rights
Construction Law
Construction Contracts, Construction Defects, Construction Liens, Construction Litigation
Legal Answers
Q. does a co-owner to property have to sign the contract
A: Much more information is required to answer this question. Are you inquiring about real estate or personal property? What sort of contract and legal matters are you referring to? Without this information there really is no way to provide any meaningful resposne. Please post a little more about your issue, but keep in mind that this is a public forum and personal identifying information should not be disclosed. Thank you.
Q. I would like to know what my personal liability is as a management employee.
A: More information is required before this question can be fully answered. Generally speaking, employees of businesses, even managers, are not liable for liabilities of the business entity, although an employee may be held liable for their own wrongful conduct. On the other hand, owners of a business may in certain circumstances be held personally liable for liabilities of the business. For those owners, a lot depends on the way the business is organized, registered, and operated. However, it is very unlikely an employee of a business could be held personally liable for a workplace injury, unless the employee was directly involved in causing or contributing to the accident.

Disclaimer: I am not your attorney. The information shared here is not intended to be legal advice. ... Read More
Q. what practice area covers mentally ill persons and their inability to maintain their own care?
A: I am sorry to hear about your sister's situation. It sounds like you or someone else in the family should consult with an attorney who handles guardianships. That attorney may recommend petitioning a court to appoint you or another qualified individual as your sister's guardian. Typically, a guardian assumes control of a protected person's affairs and must report to the court and any other interested persons from time to time. Good luck with a very difficult situation.

Disclaimer: I am not your attorney. The information shared here is not intended to be legal advice.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Firm Website
Contact & Map
Southwest Portland Law Group, LLC
Estate Planning, Real Estate, Civil Litigation, and Business
8455 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Highway
Portland, OR 97225
Telephone: (503) 206-6401
Fax: (503) 214-8962
Monday: 9 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed