Claimed Lawyer Profile
- Southern Methodist University
- J.D. | Law
- University of Texas - Austin
- B.A. | English Rhetoric & Political Science
- Honors: Sigma Tau Delta (English Honors Society)
- McCathern, PLLC
- - Current
- I have a diverse practice including negotiations and litigation for both Plaintiffs and Defendants. My experience is primarily in General litigation, Tort, Civil Rights and Employment law, although my practice is versatile and includes a broad range of practice areas.
- Assistant Attorney General
- Office of the Attorney General
- Extensive Litigation, Pleadings, Appeals, and Negotiations: I defend the State of Texas in civil litigation filed against it's law enforcement agencies, and occasionally actions in quo warranto against judges or other elected officials. My practice is primarily in Tort and Civil Rights, and requires me to handle every aspect of litigation from the moment a claim is filed, including the appeal if appeal is taken. Due in part to the number of pro se inmates filing 1983 actions against the state, my division currently handles roughly 1/3 of all cases filed in federal court in Texas. So, in addition to the Texas state cases on my docket, I am fortunate to have a great deal of exposure to the Federal courts in my practice.
- ALI Researcher
- American Law Institute
- I conducted a portion of the Tort research that will comprise the upcoming Restatement 3rd Torts. Part of this research required me to build a searchable online database of Tort cases that can be sorted by specific issues and traits.
- Legal Editorial
- I researched the law & authored legal articles for this Webby-Award-Winning legal information website. I participated in the entire editorial process from fact checking & editing to layout selections & SEO work.
- Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars
- Super Lawyers
- Mr. Hoffman has been named to Super Lawyers Texas Rising Star every year since 2013.
- The College of the State Bar of Texas
- Full Member
- - Current
- Activities: The Bar College is an honor society chartered in 1981 by the Supreme Court of Texas. It recognizes and represents lawyers who make an extraordinary commitment to their professional education.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- Eastern District of TX
- Northern District of TX
- Southern District of TX
- Western District of TX
- 5th Circuit
- Appeals & Appellate
- Civil Appeals, Federal Appeals
- Business Law
- Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
- Civil Rights
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Discrimination, Employment, Fair Housing, Police Misconduct, Privacy Law
- Employment Law
- Employee Benefits, Employment Contracts, Employment Discrimination, ERISA, Overtime & Unpaid Wages, Sexual Harassment, Whistleblower, Wrongful Termination
- Insurance Claims
- Bad Faith Insurance, Business Insurance, Disability Insurance, Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Motor Vehicle Insurance, Property Insurance
- Medical Malpractice
- Birth Injury, Medical Misdiagnosis, Pharmacy Errors, Surgical Errors
Additional Practice Areas
Contact & Map