Free Consultation: (503) 222-7401Tap to Call This Lawyer
Joanne Reisman

Joanne Reisman
  • Estate Planning, Probate, Personal Injury ...
  • Oregon
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Portland Legal Services specializes in Personalized Advocacy. This is a full service civil law firm. We cross specialize in several related areas of the law which means that we can offer you comprehensive solutions to difficult issues that require knowledge in several legal sub-specialties.

We can help you with issues in the areas of: Family Law (Divorce, Custody, Support), Paternity, Bankruptcy (Chapter 7), Wills, Trusts, Estate Planning, Elder Law (Special Needs Trusts), Probate, Conservatorships, Guardianships, , Personal Injury, Auto Accidents, Small Business, Real Estate, and Civil Litigation. If you don't see your problem area listed here, please contact us to see if it is something we also cover.

We offer a free case evaluation where you can communicate confidentially with Joanne Reisman, Attorney at Law, by email and find out if we can help you with your legal problem before you make an appointment for a paid consultation. If there is a free or low cost solution that we can think of we will gladly share this with you.

Please use the following link to the Portland Legal Services website for instructions on how to email us for a free case evaluation:

Lewis & Clark Law School
J.D. | Law
Honors: Am Jur Award Remedies
Lewis & Clark Law School Logo
University of California - Los Angeles
B.S. | Business/Economics
Honors: Cum Laude
University of California - Los Angeles Logo
Professional Experience
Sole Practicioner
Joanne Reisman
- Current
Associate Lawyer
Shannon and Johnson
Associate Lawyer
Case and Dusterhoff
Associate Lawyer
Harrington Anderson and DeBlasio
Law Clerk
Darrel Lee Law Office
Articles & Publications
The Family Law Section of the Oregon State Bar
Representing the Immigrant Client in Bankruptcy
Debtor-Creditor Section of the Oregon State Bar
Am Jur Award for Remedies
Northwestern School of Law at Lewis and Clark College
This award was for receiving the highest overall score in the class on remedies.
Professional Associations
Oregon Trial Lawyers Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Oregon State Bar  # 833832
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Washington County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Multnomah Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
9th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
    I do a free screening of a potential case. It is not technically a consultation but it can help you make the decision as to whether or not to proceed with a paid consultation. If your problem has a solution that doesn't require the assistance of an Attorney I will share this with you as part of my case evaluation. Please use the following link to to my web page for instructions on how to email me for a free case evaluation:
  • Contingent Fees
    Contingent Fee arrangements are offered for Car Accident cases and Personal Injury cases.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Please use the following link to to my web page for instructions on how to email me for a free case evaluation:
Practice Areas
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
    Personal Injury
    Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, Debt Relief
    Elder Law
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
Additional Practice Areas
  • Car Accidents
  • General Civil
  • Spanish: Spoken
Legal Answers
Q. 17 and a half years later a woman is saying that I am the father of her child. Can I sue for lost parenting time?
A: I don't know of anyway to sue for this. I have no idea why she didn't tell you. You should ask her that. It may not be true. Keep in mind that being a parent would have obligated you to pay child support. It still can. In Oregon child support is until the child is age 21 if they are a full time student. I you don't mind paying child support you can contact the district Attorney's child support enforcement division and ask them to prove your paternity and get you started paying child support.
Q. I live in Oregon. My husband died in August 2019 and has recieved a check. How do I cash it?
A: Did you have a joint account? If so, you can just deposit it in your joint account without any endorsement. It should go right through. I would do it through an atm or a banking app and not in person at the bank as they might ask questions. As long as you are 100% sure that the money is yours as his sole heir and survivor, then there is no one to complain. The only caveat I need to tell you is that you are using his money that was also available to pay his final debts. So even if you are able to run it through your joint account you still need to pay his creditors to the extent that he left any money at the time of his death. If you don't have a joint account then another option is to figure out if it is the type of check that might be reissued in your name. Sometimes someone who knows you and the situation will reissue the check, like his employer. If neither of those options work then you can consider filing a small estates affidavit that will give you the power to manage his estate.
Q. My wife just got in a accident with my 2 month old son in the car with a unlicensed driver who was only 15.
A: Well you should work with your own insurance assuming you have the coverages you need. First, you have PIP (Personal Injury Protection) which will cover the medical bills for everyone in your car so you all can immediately start getting any medical treatment you need. You each have up to $15,000 in PIP benefits that can be used up to two years after the accident for reasonable and necessary medical treatment related to the accident. It doesn't matter who was at fault for this coverage and using it will not raise your rates. Second, you will want to get your car fixed. Use your full coverage insurance and take your car to the repair/body shop of your choice. Do be aware that your insurance company will not pay to fix your car if the value of your car is low compared to the cost of the repairs. They may try to total your car. So if you have an older car and this could happen but you want your car repaired, then you may need to shop around and get estimates until you and your insurance company agree that they estimate is in the range they are willing to pay. (Don't drop your car off at a repair shop if you may need to shop estimates because once you drop your car off the repair shop starts adding on storage fees.) You may have to pay the deductible initially but your insurance company will go after the at fault driver and once they recover for the money they laid out they will usually also get your your deductible back. Usually your insurance company will investigate and it is likely that this 15 yr old driver was driving a car that had insurance coverage. Often the insurance on the car will still cover the accident even though the person driving wasn't supposed to be driving. You will need to hire your own personal injury Attorney to follow up on this. Your wife and your son each have a case against the other driver for their personal injuries. It is a good idea to get a lawyer right away so they can gather information while the case is fresh. But there is time before the cases actually need to be settled. Your wife has up to two years from the date of the accident to resolve her claim against the other driver. You 2 year old son has longer then two years since he is a minor. The Attorney you hire can explain the statute of limitations timelines to your.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Suing public bodies as defendants in Automobile Accident Cases, the importance of Tort Claims Notices
Recreational Marijuana use by a parent and related considerations in child custody disputes.
Property Division and Unmarried Couples, a Cautionary Tale!
Tax refunds and Bankruptcy
Changes in Oregon Insurance Law in 2016 now allow you to get the full benefit of your UM/UIM insurance coverage.
Getting a Creditor to Report That You Paid or Satisfied a Judgment Against You!
Modifying Child Support
Contact & Map
Portland Legal Services
8835 SW Canyon Lane Suite
Suite 301
Portland, OR 97225
Telephone: (503) 222-7401