John Cooper has been a personal injury lawyer, specializing in car, truck and motorcycle accident cases as well as wrongful death, brain injuries, slip and fall, product liability and railroad injuries for 24 years. He is a partner at the Cooper Hurley Law Firm with offices in Norfolk and client meeting locations in Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Newport News, the Eastern Shore of Virginia and Hampton, VA. His fellow accident injury attorney is Jim Hurley. In 2010, John Cooper handled a truck accident/wrongful death lawsuit which resulted in the largest settlement of a motor vehicle related case in all of Virginia that year, according to the Virginia Lawyers Weekly newspaper. In 2012 John Cooper and Jim Hurley handled a case in which a woman from Hampton was badly injured in a truck crash, which led to a $5 million settlement. The $3.5 million award went to a child whose 25-year-old father was killed by a truck driver who rear-ended the vehicle in which the young man was a passenger. John Cooper holds numerous honors. He was elected to chair the FELA Litigation Group of the American Association for Justice (the largest Plaintiffs attorney organization in the US) in 2011. He was elected in 2010 and again in 2011 as one of two District Governors from the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area to the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association Board of Governors in 2015 he was chosen to be a Governor at Large of the VLTA. He was listed in VA Super Lawyers for personal injury law since 2010 (only 5% of lawyers get this listing) He was Chosen in 2011 for ÃÃÂ¢Top 100 Trial Lawyers in VA. He has had a top AV rating since 2004 by the Martindale-Hubbell attorney reputation assessment system, showing the highest level of skill and ethics Since 2011 he has been a member of the Multi-million Dollar Advocates Roundtable He is Ranked 10 of 10 by AVVO, a national lawyer assessment service
- University of Virginia School of Law
- J.D. / law (1988)
- Managing Partner
- Cooper Hurley PLLC
- - Current
- Managing Partner in charge of injury and accident litigation, specializing in catastrophic cases such as wrongful death, traumatic brain injuries and railroad disasters. Focuses in FELA (railroad worker injuries), tractor trailer wrecks, and motorcycle crashes.
- Shapiro, Cooper, Lewis & Appleton, P.C.
- Partner handling exclusively plaintiff's personal injury work in firm concentrating in F.E.L.A. cases; emphasis in railroad injury law, as well as automobile, products liability, and medical malpractice injury practice; strong trial experience, particularly multi-state litigation.
- Personal Injury Attorney
- Kalfus & Nachman, P.C.
- Personal injury attorney in high volume plaintiff practice; responsible for large set of automobile, premises liability and medical malpractice cases.
- Senior Litigation Associate
- Croshaw, Beale, Hauser & Lewis, P.C.
- emphasizing plaintiff's personal injury practice with substantial courtroom experience in medical malpractice, personal injury, commercial litigation, and criminal law.
- law clerk
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Norfolk Divsion
- Law clerk to the Honorable Rebecca Beach Smith (currently senior federal judge in the Eastern District of Virginia, Norfolk Division), drafting memoranda, opinions, and orders in civil and criminal cases
- Listed as a Super Lawer since 2010
- Super Lawyers
- Listed among VA Super Lawyers for personal injury law since 2010 (only 5% of lawyers get this listing)
- AV rating
- Top AV rating since 2004 by the Martindale-Hubbell attorney reputation assessment system, showing the highest level of skill and ethics
- Ranked Superb 10 out of 10
- Ranked 10 of 10 (superb) by AVVO, a national lawyer assessment service
- North Carolina
- West Virginia
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability
- Car Accidents
- Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers | » ODU Takes Pedestrian Safety Measures on Norfolk Campus
John Cooper of Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers talks about traumatic brain injuriesVirginia Beach Car Accident Lawyer Gives Advice on Dealing with Insurance Companies
Virginia Beach automobile accident attorney John Cooper talks about insuranceHampton, VA Injury Lawyer John Cooper talks about his pride in the firm's clients
Virginia Beach injury lawyer John Cooper talks about pride in his clientsNorfolk, VA Injury Lawyer John Cooper - Both Parents Were Lawyers
Why John Cooper wanted to be a lawyerVirginia Beach Personal Injury Lawyer Talks about Ethics
Norfolk, VA injury lawyer John Cooper talks about ethics