Free Consultation: (818) 348-3806Tap to Call This Lawyer
John Francis Nicholson

John Francis Nicholson

I am a general practitioner and I have practiced in the legal field since 1997.
  • Real Estate Law, Business Law, Criminal Law ...
  • California
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

My education is rooted in the University of Southern California and culminated with a Bachelor of Science and MBA at Valley Christian University. I graduated from the University of La Verne School of Law in Woodland Hills, California. I am a hands-on, solo, general practitioner and I have been practicing law in the San Fernando Valley serving Los Angeles and Ventura counties. Since 2009 I have actively prticipated in the Judge Pro Tem for the Los Angeles County Superior Courts. This is a volunteer, non-paid public service.

Valley Univ
Undergraduate Degree
Placeholder image for education.
Univ of LaVerne COL
Law Degree
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Experience
Law Offices of John F. Nicholson
Professional Associations
San Fernando Valley Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
California State Bar  # 204585
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
9th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. Supreme Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
    I give free telephone and follow-up office consultations.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    I accept Visacard and MasterCard. I also accept American Express but there is a surcharge.
  • Contingent Fees
    Cases that are usual contingency fees are personal injury cases and employment law.
Practice Areas
Real Estate Law
Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
Business Law
Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
Criminal Law
Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
Elder Law
Estate Planning
Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
Family Law
Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
Landlord Tenant
Evictions, Housing Discrimination, Landlord Rights, Rent Control, Tenants' Rights
Legal Malpractice
Personal Injury
Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
Legal Answers
Q. Should I sue or threaten to sue a company that is dragging their feet in an accident related insurance claim?
A: There are inconsistencies in your statement. It appears that the credit card company charged you for the damages. That's all they get. Your insurance company is not going to do much because they don't have to pay anything out - you weren't driving your car.

Rather than file a Small Claims action you may have quicker response if you retain an experienced attorney that can get this settled for you. If there is a lot of push back from Loomis then it is time to file your own Small Claims action so you don't get in too deep with attorneys' fees.
Q. Can I terminate the lease of a tenant in a rent control area who has occupied the rental for less than 12 months?
A: Here is the updated version. While the current moratorium rules are in place you cannot evict a tenant based upon the information that you have given. The rules change fairly often but they have been giving tenants more rights - not less.

Encourage them to pay rent in the meantime; however, there are strict rules about 'harassment' of tenants by demanding rent when the tenant has already claimed their finances have affected their ability to pay rent pursuant to COVID-19.

Also there are notices that you need to provide them and you are entitled to 25% of the rent beginning September 1, 2020. There is information that you are also entitled to. You should consult an attor ney. ... Read More
Q. Tenant no longer paying rent and no COVID loss best way to start an eviction. We wanting to take unit off rental market?
A: First of all you need to retain an attorney in the area where the property is located. Most cities have COBVID-19 regulations, as well as the State of California, that have a moratoriun on evictions for any reason until next year. The rules are a bit tricky and can change at any time.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Contact & Map
Law Offices of John F. Nicholson
22647 Ventura Blvd., #527
Woodland Hills, CA 91364
Telephone: (818) 348-3806