Profile Image Placeholder

John Hyland Barrett III

  • Divorce, Family Law, Personal Injury ...
  • Colorado
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

John has practiced law in Boulder Colorado since 1975. John has represented individuals and small businesses in a variety of matters, including divorce, family law, civil litigation and real estate. He has been the co-chair of the Boulder County Family Law Committee and served as associate judge of the Louisville Municipal Court.

University of California - Davis
J.D. (1974) | Law
University of California - Davis Logo
Articles & Publications
Colorado Domestic Relations Law:Primer on Collection Law
Continuing Legal Education in Colorado, Inc.
Speaking Engagements
Domestic Relations Collections: Using Judgment Remedies to collect Child Support, Maintenance and other Monetary Awards, Boulder, Colorado
Boulder County Bar Association
A step by step primer on collections in domestic cases. Topics include obtaining the judgment, garnishing wages and bank accounts, filing judgment liens on real estate, and basic asset discovery.
Professional Associations
Colorado State Bar  # 6315
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, Mastercard, American Express,Discover
Practice Areas
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Personal Injury
    Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
    Real Estate Law
    Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
Legal Answers
Q. Can I move out of (CO) state with my son?
A: You will need the consent of the other parent. If s/he does not agree, you will have to file a motion with the court for permission to move with your son. You will need a new parenting plan for this. You should get a lawyer to help you with this situation.
Q. What if a court order is impossible to complete ?
A: Yes, you can file a motion to have he court modify it's order. Your motion should propose a solution that is possible and that will meet the court's initial concerns. You should get a lawyer in Colorado to help you with this (assuming the order is from the Colorado court).
Q. My ex-partner won’t come forth to pay the personal lien she put on my property We can’t find her
A: You will have to work with your new mortgage company to see if the new loan can go through without a release of this lien. It may be possible to escrow the lien amount in case she comes forward. Alternatively, you may need to try harder to actually find her.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Contact & Map
357 S. McCaslin Blvd.
suite 200
Louisville, CO 80027
Telephone: (303) 928-2300
Monday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed