Free Consultation: (903) 871-1714Tap to Call This Lawyer
Kacie Marie Czapla

Kacie Marie Czapla

  • Tax Law, Business Law, Bankruptcy ...
  • Eastern District of Texas, Texas
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial Media

I am a tax attorney and CPA with a varied work experience. I spent multiple years working for PricewaterhouseCoopers in Houston in Mergers and Acquisitions. I also spent a couple of years teaching tax accounting at SFA; I still teach part-time at TJC. Although I no longer represent the Exxons of the world, my attention to detail and knowledge of the Internal Revenue Code is substantial. In my current practice, I focus on tax and business planning, estate planning, bankruptcy, and property issues in divorce.

I was raised in North Louisiana, but as a graduate of White Oak High School, I have East Texas roots. I graduated from the University of North Texas with a degree in economics, then attended the University of Wyoming for law school. People always ask me, "How did you end up in the North Pole?" Short story really--I worked for a Senate Committee and the Chairman, Mike Enzi was from Wyoming. Meeting him and so many other Wyoming staffers (including my husband) convinced me to enroll at UW. Immediately after graduation, I obtained a Masters in Tax Law from the most prestigious and recognized tax school in the country--the University of Florida. Although I was born into a family of Tigers, I became a Gator!

University of Florida
LL.M. | Taxation
Honors: Book Award in Advanced International Tax
University of Florida Logo
University of Wyoming College of Law
Honors: Book Award in Mining Law and Oil and Gas Law; Scholarship Recipient;
University of Wyoming College of Law Logo
University of North Texas at Dallas College of Law
B.A. | Economics
Honors: Scholarship Recipient
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Experience
Adjunct Professor
Tyler Junior College
- Current
- Current
Senior Lecturer/ Professional in residence
Stephen F Austin State University
Adjunct Professor
UT Tyler
Associate Attorney
Gardner Firm PLLC
Tax Senior
PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
Risk Analyst
Bank of America
US Senate Committee on Health Education Labor and Pensions
Articles & Publications
Involuntary Conversion of a Principal Residence
The Tax Adviser
Speaking Engagements
Consolidated Returns
Basics of the Foreign Tax Credit
Choice of Entity from a Tax Perspective
Smith County Bar Association
Certified Public Accountant
Texas Board of Accountancy
Leadership Academy graduate
State Bar of Texas Tax Section
Professional Associations
Tax Section State Bar of Texas
Placeholder image for professional associations.
State Bar of Texas  # 24078391
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Eastern District of Texas
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
State Bar of Texas
ID Number: 24078391
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
US Tax Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Call for details
Practice Areas
    Tax Law
    Business Taxes, Criminal Tax Litigation, Estate Tax Planning, Income Taxes, International Taxes, Payroll Taxes, Property Taxes, Sales Taxes, Tax Appeals, Tax Audits, Tax Planning
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
    Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, Debt Relief
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
  • English
Legal Answers
Q. I want to deposit 15k cash from years of my birthdays and graduation parties. How am I suppose to prove it’s legal money
A: Just deposit it. You don't have to prove it is legal money. If you are charged with theft or embezzlement etc., the government has to prove it is illegal money, not you.
Q. Are there tax implications when transferring a rent house to an LLC when the LLC has already been operating it?
A: I am not just passing the buck, but you really need to hire a tax professional with this transaction.
Q. My parents gifted my wife and I, a house, would I need a form 709, real estate attorney and/or CPA, or all of them?
A: Your parents (the giftor) should file a gift tax return because the amount of the gift exceeds the exemption. The exemption is set at $15,000 per person. If your parents (two giftors) choose to gift split, and the gift is given to you and your wife, this allows for a $60,000 exemption ($15,000 times 4). If the value of the gift exceeds $60,000 your father will file a gift tax return. He may or may not pay gift tax depending on how many gifts he has made in the past. Your tax return will not be affected by the gift. However you will report a capital gain from the sale of your house (likely exempt from tax as well under Section 121). Your father should hire a CPA to prepare the gift tax return.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
TLC Law, PLLC Website
TLC Law, PLLC Blog
Contact & Map
112 E Line St.
Ste. 302
Tyler, TX 75702
Telephone: (903) 871-1714
Monday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed (Today)