Free Consultation: (914) 393-6971Tap to Call This Lawyer
Karen M. Hertz

Karen M. Hertz

Experienced Employment Lawyer
  • Employment Law, Arbitration & Mediation, Workers' Compensation ...
  • Connecticut, New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law Logo
Articles & Publications
Me Too
Westchester Magazine
Professional Associations
Westchester County Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Greenwich Chamber of Commerce
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Connecticut Hedge Fund Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
New York State Bar  # 2334316
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State of Connecticut Judicial Branch
ID Number: 401270
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
New York
New York State Office of Court Administration
ID Number: 2334316
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
    Initial consultation is complementary- 15 minutes is all we need! $400/hour if we move forward.
Practice Areas
    Employment Law
    Employee Benefits, Employment Contracts, Employment Discrimination, ERISA, Overtime & Unpaid Wages, Sexual Harassment, Whistleblower, Wrongful Termination
    Arbitration & Mediation
    Business Arbitration, Consumer Arbitration, Family Arbitration
    Workers' Compensation
    Construction Law
    Construction Contracts, Construction Defects, Construction Liens, Construction Litigation
Additional Practice Areas
  • Corporate Investigations of Employee Misconduct
  • Employment Handbooks
  • Sexual Harassment Prevention Training
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Written
Legal Answers
Q. I think I’m about to be discriminated against because of my age. What can I do?
A: You may or may not have a claim. It is illegal to hire, fire, or base any term or condition of employment on age. Being able to prove it is another thing. See what happens and if you do not get the position, it would be best to contact an employment attorney with experience in discrimination. *Please note, this is not intended to provide legal advice and you should not rely on it. This is a legal opinion.
Q. Can you legally get fired in NYS for flipping someone off. That person being a friend/coworker.
A: New York State is not a right to work state, it is an employment at will state. Your employer can terminate your employment at any time for any reason, so long as it is not discriminatory, in violation of Title VII. If you are a member of a labor union, perhaps your union can file a grievance on your behalf alleging you were not terminated for cause. Otherwise, it seems that misconduct is a good enough reason to terminate your employment, even though your employer does not need a reason to terminate your employment, so long as it is not because you are in a protected class. *This is not intended to be legal advice, it is only a legal opinion. If you are interested in pursuing this further, please contact an employment attorney.
Q. Do I have any legal standing with both the city official and my job?
A: A little more information is needed to fully understand what happened. Did you file a police report? This conduct could be considered harassment, bullying and possibly assault. However, it is unclear what happened? Did this occur while you were on the job? Please note that this is not intended to provide legal advice, only to give an opinion.
View More Answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
503 Half Moon Bay Drive
Croton On Hudson, NY 10520
Telephone: (914) 393-6971
Monday: 9 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed