Free Consultation: (360) 299-1121Tap to Call This Lawyer
Profile Image Placeholder

Marjorie Simmons

Marjorie Simmons, Esq.
  • Divorce, Intellectual Property, Communications & Internet Law
  • South Carolina, Washington
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

20 years in practice, focus on QDROs (Qualified Domestic Relations Orders) and data protection/breach consulting.

University of South Carolina
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Experience
Principal Attorney
Marjorie Simmons, Esq.
- Current
Professional Associations
South Carolina State Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Washington State Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Skagit County Bar Assn
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
South Carolina
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
    Free initial consultation for QDROs only
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    PayPal available
Practice Areas
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Intellectual Property
    Communications & Internet Law
    Internet Law, Media & Advertising, Telecommunications Law
Additional Practice Area
  • QDROs (Qualified Domestic Relations Orders)
Legal Answers
Q. Is my wife in titled to half of my pension after only 4 years of marriage.
A: Money earned from employment during marriage is community property in Washington, including deferred compensation like pensions and 401ks. Non-community property states often consider money earned during marriage to belong to both parties too. The part of a retirement account that is divisible at divorce is the part that was earned during marriage. So if a marriage is short, the divisible part will be smaller than if the marriage is long. Most retirement plans require qualified domestic relations orders (QDROs) to divide retirement assets, and that process should be addressed in divorce proceedings. If your divorce lawyer tells you they "don't do QDROs", then ask them for a referral to a lawyer who does. Lawyers who focus on QDROs usually charge a flat fee rather than by the hour.
Q. My ex husband is retiring from his job to avoid paying maintenance. If he gets another job is he still retired?
A: If your decree orders maintenance he is required to pay it, and voluntary unemployment will not exempt him from that obligation. Do you have a QDRO (order for dividing retirement assets) already made? If not, you should do this right away, because your options are severely limited if he retires before you have a QDRO in place.
Q. I hired a mover to move me from OR to WA. He disappeared and took my $600 deposit. Where can I file a lawsuit?
A: How vexing an experience for you that must be. You'll want to read the UTC's page on movers at: Movers must be licensed. Call them to make a complaint at 888-333-WUTC (9882) and see their moving publications at
View More Answers
Social Media
Websites & Blogs
Contact & Map
By appointment only
PO Box 688
Burlington, WA 98233
Telephone: (360) 299-1121