Free Consultation: (301) 424-8081Tap to Call This Lawyer
Mark Oakley

Mark Oakley

  • Criminal Law, DUI & DWI, Family Law ...
  • District of Columbia, Maryland
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Mark W. Oakley is an established litigation attorney concentrating on civil litigation, personal injury, construction law, and criminal and traffic defense. He also advises business clients, negotiates and drafts contracts, and handles a variety of litigation matters at all levels of the state and federal court systems. Mr. Oakley is trained and certified in the collaborative practice of law. Mr. Oakley is a graduate of the University of Maryland School of Law (J.D. 1987), and the University of Maryland, College Park (B.A. 1984). He is a member of the Maryland State Bar Association, the District of Columbia Bar, and the Bar Association of Montgomery County. He is admitted to practice before the Court of Appeals of Maryland, the District of Columbia Court of Appeals, the United States District Court for the District of Maryland, the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. Authored the winning brief in the case of 1986 Mercedes v. State of Maryland, a precedent-setting decision limiting the State’s power to forfeit private property.

University of Maryland - Baltimore
J.D. (1987) | Law
Placeholder image for education.
University of Maryland - College Park
B.A. (1984) | English
University of Maryland - College Park Logo
Professional Associations
District of Columbia Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Maryland State Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Bar Association of Montgomery County
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
District of Columbia Bar
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, MasterCard, Discover
  • Contingent Fees
    I handle personal injury claims on a contingent fee basis, meaning if there is no recovery, you do not owe me a legal fee.
Practice Areas
    Criminal Law
    Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
    DUI & DWI
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Personal Injury
    Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
    Construction Law
    Construction Contracts, Construction Defects, Construction Liens, Construction Litigation
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
Legal Answers
Q. Do the court provides an Oath taker and Court Reporter that is certified with the courts?
A: In proceedings like trials and merits hearings where testimony is being taken by the litigants or witnesses, all persons testifying are sworn under oath by the clerk seated to the side of the judge prior to testifying. Court reporters have been replaced with electronic recordings using sensitive microphones at each litigant's table, the witness stand and the judge's bench, so all prceedings before the court in a case are recorded. Any person may request a typed transcript of recorded proceedings from the court, and then an official court reporter listens to the recordings and types up the transcript, and certifies the transcript as accurate under oath before providing the transcript to the requesting party. An official copy of any requested transcript is also filed with the court. If you want a live court reporter present in court for a particular proceeding, you must request it well in advance of the trial or hearing. Other than for official proceedings in court, or for receiving a commission bestowed upon someone by the court clerk or other court staff--such as a Notary Public commission-- the court does not provide its staff for general oath taking purposes.
Q. What can be done to remove IID and fight back against the injustice of the police system? We live in MD.
A: It’s impossible to advise you based solely on these facts. Your husband needs a lawyer, and the best thing he can do is hire a good criminal defense lawyer. The lawyer will obtain all the discovery from the prosecutor and can better analyze the situation.
Q. Can I, sole beneficiary, take control of my Maryland GST from my still living dad due to breach of fiduciary duties?
A: A beneficiary of a trust has the right to obtain a copy of the trust and receive an accounting of the assets, to include investment performance of the assets and transactions in and out of the trust. Your starting point should be a written demand on the trustee for both of these things. Upon detailed review of the terms of the trust, you can ascertain whether the trustee has been acting in accordance with the terms and purposes of the trust. If there is mismanagement or wrongdoing, or a failure to carry out the terms and purposes of the trust, or the trustee refuses your right to receive a copy of the trust and an accounting of assets, you may petition to have the trustee removed and replaced, and a suit can be filed against the trustee to recover assets wrongfully withdrawn from the trust. Where the trust does not provide a clear method as to whom or how to appoint a successor trustee, the benecficaries (or in your case, you as the sole beneficiary) can designate the trustee. Whether you can dissolve the trust will require a different analysis and will depend on the trust terms, the assets remaining under trust, and many facts and circumstances not set forth in your question. Dissolution typically requires court action to achieve that result.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Contact & Map
1803 Research Blvd., Suite 401
Rockville, MD 20850
Telephone: (301) 424-8081