Free Consultation: (602) 944-2277Tap to Call This Lawyer
Matthew Bycer

Matthew Bycer

Bycer Law, PLC
  • Patents, Trademarks, Intellectual Property
  • Arizona, U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

JD/MBA services small companies and independent inventors to seek, procure, maintain, defend, and enforce intellectual property.

James E. Rogers College of Law, University of Arizona
J.D. | Law - IP
James E. Rogers College of Law, University of Arizona Logo
University of Arizona
MBA | Marketing - Business Admin
University of Arizona Logo
Brown University
B.A. | Physics & Business Economics
Honors: Sigma Xi, Scientific Research Society
Activities: Phi Kappa Psi Rugby, Captain
Brown University Logo
Professional Experience
University of Arizona Office of Technology Transfer
Extern, Hon. Chief Judge Stephen M. McNamee
U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
Speaking Engagements
International Intellectual Property, AZ State Bar
Intellectual Property Section
Registered Patent Attorney
United States Patent and Trademark Office
Pro Bono Award
Arizona Public Patent Program
Professional Associations
Arizona State Bar Intellectual Property Section Executive Council
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    predictable fixed fees for patent prosecution
Practice Areas
    Patent Appeals, Patent Litigation, Patent Prosecution
    Trademark Litigation, Trademark Registration
    Intellectual Property
  • English: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. Would a US Patent only cover my rights in the US or could I use a patent cooperation treaty with a US patent to further
A: A patent covers, and provides the right to stop someone from making, using, offering or selling patented invention within the United States. 35 U.S.C. § 271(a). Therefore, if any substantial portion of the action occurs in the US, your US patent should provide a right to sue. It becomes more complicated if only a portion of the invention is made/sold in the US. The Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) opens an opportunity to obtain further rights in foreign jurisdictions. For instance, if your product or process is made in one foreign country and exported to another, you would require a patent in at least one of those foreign jurisdictions to enforce your rights.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Contact & Map
Bycer Law, PLC
7220 N. 16th Street, Suite H
Phoenix, AZ 85020
Telephone: (602) 944-2277