Matthew Schutz

Matthew Schutz

  • Criminal Law, Real Estate Law, Landlord Tenant ...
  • New Jersey
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Matthew R. Schutz, Esq. has 38 years experience
in the legal profession. As a 1984 Graduate of the
Benjamin N. Cardozo Law School of Yeshiva
University, he was admitted to the New Jersey Bar
in the same year.

In addition to 25 years in private practice,
Matthew Schutz has over 20 years experience
serving as a sitting Administrative Law Judge for
New York City’s Parking Violations Bureau.

Mr. Schutz provides full and aggressive
representation for any matter brought forward,
including Moving Violations, Ordinance Violations,
Disorderly Person offenses, Expungements,
Conditional Discharges, Landlord/Tenant, Real
Estate, Municipal matters, Collections, Civil and
Criminal matters.

The office uses technology to quickly and efficiently
handle your problems. This coupled with
Matthew R. Schutz, Esq.'s experience
combines to give you the best possible resolution

Professional Associations
New Jersey State Bar  # 018131984
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New Jersey
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Practice Areas
    Criminal Law
    Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
    Real Estate Law
    Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
    Landlord Tenant
    Evictions, Housing Discrimination, Landlord Rights, Rent Control, Tenants' Rights
    Traffic Tickets
    Suspended License
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
Legal Answers
Q. I am trying to rent a condo. The landlord is asking me to send them a security deposit before tour or signing anything.
A: Frankly I would question the requirement. Generally speaking you don't give a security deposit, until after you sign on the dotted line. I would not deal with this fellow.

If you choose to deal with them, then if there is a real estate agent involved, have him ask for the money and if there is no lease signed within 15 days, the money is to be released back to you.
Q. Can other types of assets (i.e., equipment, other physical property) also be included in a residential lease?
A: Your lease can include non-real estate items. In a residential tenancy typically these things are refrigerators, dishwashers, washer dryers, and other typical household goods. In a commercial or industrial setting and can include equipment relevant to the tasks at hand.

I would also include a discussion of who is responsible for what maintenance of the equipment. If that is not included you will probably be held responsible as landlord.
Q. My landlord wants myself to vacate by next month, gave a text message notice last wk. What are my options?
A: The property you live in the subject to the Anti-Eviction Act. Under the act the landlord must have a recognized cause to evict. There are roughly 20 different grounds in the act. The act also provides that if the lease has expired the tenant to continue to live on as a month-to-month tenant under the same circumstances and regulations.

The fact LL wants to renovate the premises is not a reason to evict you. If I were you I would ignore the demand you move out by June. Furthermore since your landlord sounds like such an honest man, I would consider not paying June rent. I am somewhat suspect that is going not to return your security deposit at the end of the day.

I would take the rent money that you are not paying and put into a separate account. If he does decide to sue for failure to pay the rent you have the money to pay him and that is a defense to the eviction. I also wonder if she is registered the property with the appropriate authorities. The landlord-tenant court does not have jurisdiction unless the property is registered and you should have a copy of the registration. ... Read More
View More Answers
Contact & Map
40 Coppermine Village
Flemington, NJ 08822
Telephone: (908) 806-7173