Free Consultation: (717) 232-4701Tap to Call This Lawyer
Michael Cherewka

Michael Cherewka

Law Office of Michael Cherewka
  • Business Law, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law ...
  • Pennsylvania
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

With my background in accounting as well as law, I can share my unique background and experience when working with individuals, families and small and mid-size businesses in the areas of estate planning, taxation, corporations and business planning, business acquisitions and sales, succession planning, business exit strategies and real estate.

Dickinson School of Law
Honors: cum laude Woolsack Society
Placeholder image for education.
Bucknell University
B.S. | Accounting
Honors: cum laude Delta Mu Delta Omicron Delta Kappa College Register
Bucknell University Logo
Professional Experience
Law Office of Michael Cherewka
- Current
Owner of law firm dedicated to Estate Planning, Trusts and Estates Administration, Business Planning for small to mid-tier businesses including choice of entity, acquisitions and sales, business exit strategies and succession planning
Articles & Publications
Strictly Business
Quantum Press
Speaking Engagements
How To Close An Estate, Mechanicsburg , Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania Bar Institute
Handling Real Estate Transactions From Start to Finish, Harrisburg , Pennsylvania
National Business Institute
VA Accredited Attorney
United States Department of Veterans Affairs
Distinguished Service Award
American Heart Association
Professional Associations
Pennsylvania State Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Alliance of Merger & Acquisition Advisors
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Elder Care Matters Alliance
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Wealth Counsel
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
Practice Areas
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Real Estate Law
    Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
    Tax Law
    Business Taxes, Criminal Tax Litigation, Estate Tax Planning, Income Taxes, International Taxes, Payroll Taxes, Property Taxes, Sales Taxes, Tax Appeals, Tax Audits, Tax Planning
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
  • English: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. I'm inheriting a vacation home. Should I receive a copy of my dad's will, and from whom, or do I pay for that?
A: As far as a copy of the Will, the executor is required to send you a notice that you are a beneficiary of the Will, and describe your bequest. Most executors provide a copy of the Will, but unfortunately that is not required and your executor has chosen not to send a copy. Her attorney is correct that you can obtain a copy from the Register of Wills in the county courthouse. You can check on line--in some (not many) Pennsylvania counties the more recent Estates now have the records available for on-line viewing. Again, typically, the Estate is responsible for property maintenance expenses while the property is owned by the Estate. Hopefully there will be no delay in transferring the Deed to you as well.
Q. how to legally make contracts and what to put in them.
A: You have a number of questions here that you really need to sit down with a business attorney and sort through your best options. First of all I never recommend a 50/50 split of ownership because it can lead to deadlocks at a number of levels in the business. As far as your idea/system, that should be reviewed to determine what can be protected by trademarks and copyrights, and also who (you or the business) would own the Intellectual Property rights, among other issues associated with taking on a co-owner.
Q. Pa inheritance tax method? Mom died. the 100 acre farm(Pa) in clean and green will be sold outside of family.
A: First of all the Department of Revenue will usually accept the assessed value (adjusted for county common level ratio) for computing inheritance tax, but it is not likely to accept the assessed value as reduced for Clean & Green. Second, whether you want to report a low value for inheritance tax purposes (4.5% tax if all heirs are children or lineal heirs) may depend on what the heirs plan to do with the property. If the plan is to sell the property or develop it, may be better to report a higher fair market value (ie., get an appraisal or other valuation) and pay the inheritance tax so heirs can establish a higher income tax basis in the property and then reduce their income taxes (Federal tax rate likely 15% plus PA tax of 3.07%) when the property is sold. Take the time to meet with an attorney and review your options before you file that tax return
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Cherewka Law
Contact & Map
624 North Front Street
Wormleysburg, PA 17043
Telephone: (717) 232-4701
Telephone: (717) 232-4701