Free Consultation: (847) 549-0600Tap to Call This Lawyer
Michael Goldberg

Michael Goldberg

Partner at Johnston Tomei Lenczycki & Goldberg LLC - A Libertyville Law Firm
  • Estate Planning, Probate
  • Illinois
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII PlatinumSocial Media

I am a lifelong Chicagoland resident with a passion for helping families plan their estates so their loved ones are cared for upon their passing. I utilize wills, trusts, powers of attorney for property and healthcare, with the goal of both ensuring that assets pass to your intended loved ones and to make sure that the right people are acting on your behalf if you are unable to make decisions. For families with a recently deceased loved one, I will represent the appointed fiduciaries in administering the estate, be it probate administration or trust administration.

I am licensed to practice in Illinois and primarily work in Lake County, Cook County, McHenry County, DuPage County, Will County, Kane County, and Kendall County. I am also licensed for the Federal Bar of the Northern District of Illinois.

I offer a no charge, no strings attached initial consultation for estate planning. We can formulate an estate plan that meets your needs without breaking the bank. If you recognize that you need estate planning (and everyone does!) then do not hesitate to give me a call.

University of Illinois - Chicago John Marshall Law School
J.D. (2012) | Law
Placeholder image for education.
Beloit College
B.A. (2007) | Political Science
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Experience
Managing Partner
Johnston Tomei Lenczcyki & Goldberg LLC
- Current
Associate Attorney
Matlin Law Group, P.C.
Associate Attorney
Associate Attorney
The Rogers Law Group, NFP
Staff Attorney Intern
19th Judicial Circuit Court of Lake County, Illinois
Articles & Publications
Digital Asset Transfers Upon Death
Incorporating RUFADAA into Estate Planning Documents
The Docket - The Lake County Bar Association
Estate Planning for Cryptocurrency
Illinois Bar Journal
Speaking Engagements
Estate Planning, Libertyville, Illinois
The Lake County Retired Teachers Association
Managing Real Estate Broker
Rising Stars
Professional Associations
Lake County Estate Planning Council
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Illinois Association of Independent Attorneys
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Illinois State Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Lake County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Supreme Court of Illinois
ID Number: 6309094
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Federal Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
    I offer a no charge initial consultation for estate planning and probate.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Practice Areas
Estate Planning
Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
  • English: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. Is it actionable for a trustee to withhold promised distributions unless a beneficiary stops exercising their rights?
A: If the trust gives the trustee discretion to make distributions to a beneficiary based on a particular standard, the trustee is permitted to ask for evidence from the beneficiary in order to evaluate whether a distribution should be made. This is not illegal, and is often a common feature of trusts. On the other hand, the trustee always has the obligation to act in "good faith" when administering a trust for the benefit of beneficiaries. If the trustee is asking for documentation with the goal of harming the beneficiary rather than for the purpose of following the trust's intent, then that could be considered a violation of the trustee's fiduciary duty, which would subject the trustee to being removed from their office. However, this would be difficult to prove and would require significant evidence regarding the trustee's primary motivation. ... Read More
Q. Should i still file a answer and is there anything else i can do to prolong a judgment against me?
A: Since there is a legal proceeding in place for the foreclosure, the best advice that I can provide is for you to retain an attorney to represent you in the foreclosure matter. The attorney can raise affirmative defenses that you may have available in order to defend the lawsuit.
Q. I have a brother that is mentally ill and is being abused by his mom and my dad In Illinois. What can be done?
A: If you believe your brother is being abused, you should first call the police and file a police report. His parents have guardianship of him at the moment, but that can be ended by the court that oversees guardianship. If you wish to become his guardian to make decisions for him, you can petition the court to appoint you guardian and to remove his parents as guardian.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Johnston Tomei Lenczycki & Goldberg LLC
Johnston Tomei Lenczycki & Goldberg LLC
Contact & Map
Johnston Tomei Lenczycki & Goldberg LLC
350 N. Milwaukee Ave.
Ste. 202
Libertyville, IL 60048
Telephone: (847) 549-0600 Ext. 103
Monday: 9 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed