Martindale-Hubbell highest rating (AV).
Graduated from the University of Virginia in 1979 and the University of Virginia School of Law in 1982. Started out with an insurance defense and business litigation firm. Represented many of the major insurance companies (auto, health, life, fire, products liability, bonds, etc) . Began representing injured individuals and companies. Gained familiarity with the Bankruptcy Code and Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code by advising creditors, documenting secured transactions for creditors, and representing creditors in civil litigation and in bankruptcy courts in Va., Ky., and Tn. Served as a Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee for approximately 5 years. Served on the board of directors of a bank for approximately 5 years. Served as a labor arbitrator for several years. Served as the main outside counsel for a hospital for over ten years.
Managing Partner, Shortridge and Shortridge, P.C., Norton, Va., 1984-2000, and Abingdon, Va., 2000 to the present. Associate, Mullins, Winston, and Robertson, Norton, Va. 1982-1984. Summer Intern, Office of the Attorney General of Virginia, Richmond, Va., 1981. Adjunct Instructor, Clinch Valley College of the University of Virginia, Wise, VA., 1987 (taught Business Law), 1996-97 (taught State & Local Government).
President, Wise County Bar Association, 1996.
Director, Governing Board of the Bankruptcy Section of the Virginia Bar Association, 1992-1995.
Director, Big Stone Gap Bank & Trust Company, Big Stone Gap, Va. 1987-92.
Director, Client Centered Legal Services, (a legal aid society), Castlewood, Va. 1987-93.
Director, Hope House, (a shelter for battered spouses), Norton, Va., 1987-92.
Director, Pro-Art (a chapter of the Va. Museum of Art), Wise, Va., 1984-89.
Member, Virginia State Bar Special Committee on Lawyers Malpractice Insurance, 2008 to 2013.
- University of Virginia School of Law
- J.D. (1982)
- University of Virginia
- B.A. (1979)
- Honors: Graduated with Distinction (Honors).
- Activities: Member of ATO fraternity; resident advisor in a 1st year dorm.
- "Wrongful Discharge Suits Based Upon An Employee's Filing a Worker's Compensation Claim: Tactics and Defenses," Journal of Civil Litigation, Vol 5, #1, at 13-25, (1993).
- "Why Virginia Should Not Adopt the Proposed Amendment to Section 402A of the Restatement of Torts," Paper delivered at the 1994 Annual Convention of the Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys at the Boar's Head Inn, Charlottesville, Va.
- Virginia State Bar
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Virginia Creditor's Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- 4th Circuit
- 6th Circuit
- Supreme Court of Kentucky
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- U.S District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Personal Injury
- Insurance Claims
- Social Security Disability
- Products Liability
- Auto Accidents
- Civil Litigation
- Creditor's Rights & Representing Creditors in Bankruptcy Court