Free Consultation: (318) 346-2336Tap to Call This Lawyer
Mr. Dan B. McKay Jr.
Claimed Lawyer ProfileResponsive Law
I am a highly experienced general practice attorney, one of a dying breed who has done it all. I handle serious personal injury, wrongful death, estate planning, real estate, and public relations. I have practiced bankruptcy law for individuals since the Spring of 1980 when I filed my first bankruptcy case as a law clerk during my last semester of law school at LSU, Baton Rouge. I have practiced law since, continuously and without interruption. The scope of my practice will continue to conform with my varied pursuits, but with an emphasis on public relations as well as bankruptcy. I have associations with other firms I work with on specific cases.
- University of Louisiana - Monroe
- B.A. | Government
- Honors: President of the Student Body
- Activities: Student Newspaper Writer; Student Senate; Young Democrats; Kappa Alpha Order men's fraternity
- Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University
- J.D. | Law
- Honors: Student Yearbook Photographer; Louisiana Law Library Student Staff
- Activities: While in law school, I was an Active Reserve U. S. Army Captain and commanding officer of my Army Reserve unit, the 352d Army Security Agency Company.
- Law Clerk
- Tureau & Mire, Attorneys at Law, Gonzales, LA
- I handled research and drafting of pleadings and real estate documents in areas including real estate, personal injury, child custody and bankruptcy. This was where I wrote my first appellate brief which resulted in judgment in favor of the firm's client in a child custody case, reversing a judgment against the client. I also prepared my first bankruptcy case in this position.
- Democratic National Convention, Regular Meeting, Bunkie, La.
- Bunkie Rotary Club
- Spoke on the experience of serving as a delegate to a national party nominating convention and the historic nomination of the first minority candidate for president by a major party in the US.
- Public Defender Functions, Regular Meeting, Bunkie, La.
- Rotary Club of Bunkie
- Spoke on the regular demands and functions of public defenders, lack of funding and political interference in public defense of criminal cases.
- Financing election of judges, Weekly Meeting, Ferriday, La.
- Ferriday Rotary Club
- Explained how lawyers pick candidates to support for judge based on factors such as amount of campaign funds on hand and polling data, etc, and contribute to the presumptive favorite without regard to qualifications, and the need for the general public to take more interest.
- Exonerating juvenile in La. Supreme Ct, Regular Meeting, Alexandria, LA
- Alexandria Lions Club
- Appointed to represent 15 y/o juvenile charged as an adult with 2d degree murder (automatic life sentence); jury returned verdict of manslauter and Court of Appeal affirmed; La. Supreme Ct reversed on grounds evidence showed no culpability.
- Louisiana Courts of Appeal, Regular Meeting, Alexandria, LA
- Alexandria Kiwanis Club
- Spoke on organization & function of Courts of Appeal, misconceptions as well as good and bad points of how appeals courts work.
- Trial Lead and Appellate Lead Counsel in Death Penalty Cases
- Louisiana Indigent Defense Assistance Bd.
- Case Management & Electronic Case Filing
- United States Bankruptcy Court
- Democratic State Central Cmte  # 29B
- - Current
- Activities: Work to recruit and elect the best candidates for public office, register new voters and maintain fair elections.
- - Current
- Activities: Support and defend civil rights and liberties for all people.
- Louisiana State Bar Association  # 09358
- Member, House of Delegates
- - Current
- Activities: Propose, consider and act on rules to improve the administration of legal proceedings, lawyer discipline and provision of professional legal services to all regardless of ability to pay.
- Bunkie Rotary Club
- Activities: Paul Harris Fellow +2; sustaining member, Rotary Foundation
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
I give a free comprehensive consultation to all individuals and small businesses who are considering the need to file personal bankruptcy.
Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
I try to maintain the lowest fees of all attorneys in Central La. I always give clients the time they need to pay fees and never give a deadline for a fee payment.
- Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, Debt Relief
Additional Practice Areas
- Wrongful Death
- Serious Injury
- English: Spoken, Written
- Spanish: Written
Websites & Blogs
Contact & Map