Free Consultation: (612) 246-4788Tap to Call This Lawyer
Neil P Thompson

Neil P Thompson

Law Office of Neil P. Thompson
  • Estate Planning, Elder Law
  • Minnesota
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial MediaResponsive Law

Attorney and Pharmacist with extensive experience in Estate Planning, Elder Law, Medicaid, Medical Assistance and Small Business.

Prior to becoming an attorney, I worked as a pharmacist in my own pharmacies, servicing nursing homes and elderly clients every day. I know the problems people face when having to face nursing care both in and out of their homes.

Let me walk you through the Estate Planning process, answering all of your questions and craft a solution that works for you at a price you can afford.

William Mitchell College of Law
J.D. (1999) | Law
William Mitchell College of Law Logo
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
B.S. (1977) | Pharmacy
President Minnesota Chapter – Rho Chi Pharmacy Honor Society 1977
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities Logo
Professional Experience
Attorney at Law
Law Office of Neil P. Thompson
- Current
Nile Pharmacy Inc
Articles & Publications
William Mitchell Law Review
State of Minnesota
AV Preeminent Rating
Ninth Ward Citizen of the Year
9th Ward Council
Professional Associations
Minnesota State Bar  # 0291638
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Minnesota State Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Minnesota Supreme Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
8th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. Supreme Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
    Our initial meeting is to see if we are a good fit to work together in creating an estate plan that works for you and fits your budget. After a consultation and I answer all of your questions, you the client selects what package of estate planning services and what fit your budget.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
    I accept a limited number of contingent fee clients. Most of my clients are charged package fees based on what the clients selects and works with their budget, so basically my clients pick the services they want and the fees they want to pay with no surprise bills later.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    My office accepts VISA, MASTERCARD, DISCOVER, AMEX. We offer a discount for cash or checks. We offer discounts for Active Duty Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement (Active and Retired). We offer discounts for former client referrals and former client's children.
Practice Areas
Estate Planning
Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
Elder Law
Additional Practice Area
  • Pharmacy False Claims/Whistle-Blower Claims
  • English: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. My husband and I need to make a will or trust and we don't know where to start.
A: Yours appears to be a straight forward basic estate plan, one that a Will plan would work well. The property in another is or can be problematic and a review of which state the property is in would be necessary. That being said a basic will, power of attorney and health care directive for each of you and transfer on death deeds recorded with the county for each of your properties would probably accomplish your needs.
Q. If my mom had a new will wrote up and she passed away before she signed it is it valid
A: The short answer is No, it is not valid in most states. Each state has statutes that must be followed to execute a valid will. Usually, two witnesses are required and then it must be notarized.

The long answer is it may provide evidence of the intent of the decedent in a probate court, particularly if there is no prior will and it does not deviate from the intestate laws of the state where it is probated.

You should not rely on the unsigned will for distribution of assets without the estate being formally probated and reviewed by a court.
Q. If decedent's property is less than 75K, will a collection of pers property affidavit work for access to bank accounts?
A: The short answer is Yes. The long answer is you must comply with Minnesota Statutes § 524.3-1201. It must be 30 days since your father passed away and there cannot be an open or pending probate case having been filed.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Estates Minnesota & Attorney Neil Thompson
Estates Minnesota
Contact & Map
Law Office of Neil Thompson
7900 International Drive, Suite 300
Bloomington, MN 55425
Telephone: (612) 246-4788
Notice: By appointment only. Please call and we are very accomodating to your schedule.