Patrick W. Begos is a founding member of the firm and senior partner in the Westport office. He heads the firm's trial and appellate group. Pat brings 19 years of litigation, arbitration, mediation and negotiation experience to the firm.
Prior to forming Begos Horgan & Brown, Patrick was a partner in the New York City litigation firm Molton & Meekins (1995-1998), and he was previously associated with Weil, Gotshal & Manges (1990-1995); and Lane & Mittendorf (1988-1990).
He is a current member of the Trial Tactics and the Life, Health and Disability Sections of the Defense Research Institute, and a member of the Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association. He is also a member of the Alternative Dispute Resolution and Trial Evidence subcommittees of the American Bar Association. He is a past member of the Committee on Art Law of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, and he is admitted to the bar in New York and Connecticut.
Patrick received his legal education from Columbia University School of Law (J.D) and did his undergraduate work at Johns Hopkins University (BA with honors).
Pat works primarily on cases involving business and personal disputes in a wide variety of commercial areas including:
- ERISA benefits
- insurance coverage
- securities transactions
- real estate development and property management
- copyright and trademark
- internet commerce
- secured lending
- fine art acquisitions and sales
- products liability
- real estate transactions
- corporate governance
His day-to-day practice includes:
- Defending ERISA claim administrators and disability insurers at trial and in appellate courts
- Pursuing lender liability and predatory lending claims on behalf of borrowers
- Representing real estate owners, buyers and sellers in disputes over sales, construction and land use
- Assisting business owners in solving problems with partners, shareholders, creditors and suppliers