Free Consultation: (808) 780-0190Tap to Call This Lawyer
Shelby N. Ferrer

Shelby N. Ferrer

Law Office Of Shelby N. Ferrer
  • Divorce, Family Law, Estate Planning
  • Hawaii
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

As of February 1, 2019, Ms. Ferrer, former partner at Nakamoto & Ferrer, has opened her own practice in Family Law – Law Office Of Shelby N. Ferrer. As a Family Law attorney, Ms. Ferrer has a unique depth of knowledge about Hawai'i’s Family Court. After graduating in 2014 from the William S. Richardson School of Law, Ms. Ferrer served as a law clerk to the Honorable R. Mark Browning, Senior Judge of Family Court and Deputy Chief Judge of the First Circuit. As Senior Judge Browning’s law clerk, Ms. Ferrer assisted in the administration of over 500 employees and the numerous programs and court proceedings of the Family Court, including juvenile probation programs, a youth detention facility, and proceedings involving juveniles charged with crimes, unsupervised minors, adoptions, guardianships of minors and disabled adults, abused and neglected children, domestic abuse, divorcing families with alimony, property division and child custody issues, and never-married families with child custody disputes. After concluding her clerkship in 2016, Ms. Ferrer became an associate attorney for the Law Office Of Mei Nakamoto. In May 2018, the Law Office Of Mei Nakamoto transitioned to Nakamoto & Ferrer, with Ms. Ferrer being a named partner.

During law school, Ms. Ferrer was a pro bono volunteer with the Family Court’s Ho‘olokahi program, which assists parents who have children subjected to abuse or neglect. She also helped establish Law for Youth Empowerment (also known as LYtE), a law student organization designed to educate and advocate for incarcerated and at-risk youth in Hawai'i. In addition, Ms. Ferrer also served as an extern with the family law division of the Legal Aid Society of Hawai‘i, where she assisted LASH attorneys and staff with indigent adults who needed assistance with divorce, child custody and domestic abuse protection needs.

University of Hawai'i at Manoa William S. Richardson School of Law
J.D. (2014) | Juris Doctorate
Placeholder image for education.
University of Hawaii - Manoa
B.A. (2010) | Psychology
University of Hawaii - Manoa Logo
Professional Experience
Law Office Of Shelby N. Ferrer
- Current
Law Office Of Mei Nakamoto
Associate Attorney
Law Office Of Mei Nakamoto
Law Clerk
The Honorable R. Mark Browning
Judicial Extern
The Honorable Jeannette H. Castagnetti
Writing Memoranda, Observed Hearings
Speaking Engagements
Presenter, Second Saturday Divorce Workshop, Niu Valley
Second Saturday Honolulu
Presenter, HSBA Law Week - KHON2 morning segment, KHON2 News
Hawaii State Bar Association
Presenter, Second Saturday Divorce Workshop, 7192 Kalanianaole Hwy. Suite G205 Honolulu, HI 96825
Second Saturday Honolulu
Top 10 Attorneys Under 40
National Academy of Family Law Attorneys
Top 10 Attorney Under 40 in Hawaii
Professional Associations
Miss Oahu Filipina Scholarship Pageant
Legal Counsel
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Mediation Center of the Pacific
Court Appointed Volunteer Settlement Master
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Hawaii Filipino Lawyer Association
Board Director
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Hawaii State Bar Association  # 10260
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
    I offer a free 30 minute consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Practice Areas
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
  • English: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. Hi, How can I ask the court for temporary support? HRS Title 31 580-9
A: Yes, HRS 580-9 allows you to petition the court for orders for temporary alimony while you finalize your divorce. You need to file a Motion For Pre-Decree Relief to get a hearing date. The forms are available online at the Hawaii State Judiciary website. You should consult with an attorney to get more specific advice regarding preparing the Motion and other remedies may be available to you.
Q. So I have a daughter I care most about I work so hard to get her to Hawaii. But everytime I try to communicate
A: Depending on whether you have a court order in place and what that order says, you can file a motion in court to enforce orders to allow you to communicate or change orders if the current orders are not working. If you do not have an order in place, you will need to file a petition to have the court issue an order. You need to consult with an attorney for specific advice about what path is right for you.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Law Office Of Shelby N. Ferrer
Contact & Map
Law Office Of Shelby N. Ferrer
1050 Queen Street suite 100
honolulu, HI 96814
Telephone: (808) 780-0190