Stefan Otterson
  • Family Law, Arbitration & Mediation, Divorce ...
  • Alaska
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial MediaResponsive Law

Stefan Otterson has lived and practiced law in Anchorage since 1988. Stefan lived and worked in Europe for three years before attending the University of Utah, graduating suma cum laude in 1984. He received both an MBA and Law Degree from the University of Utah schools of Business and Law in 1988. Stefan started out in private commercial legal practice, but joined the Attorney General’s Office in 1990. There he was a child protection and juvenile delinquency prosecutor, and also represented the Divisions of Public Safety, Mental Health, and Medicaid. Since 2000 Stefan has practiced family law in courts all over Southcentral, Southwest and Northwest Alaska. Stefan is also trained in mediation and collaborative law, and has been a mediator for the court system, and a child advocate (guardian ad litem).

University of Utah
MBA (1988)
Honors: Wm & Opal Fields Scholarship
University of Utah Logo
The University of Utah S.J. Quinney College of Law
J.D. (1988)
The University of Utah S.J. Quinney College of Law Logo
University of Utah
B.A. (1984) | English with writing emphasis, German minor
Honors: Summa Cum Laude
Activities: Graduation speaker, Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi
University of Utah Logo
Professional Experience
Otterson Law & Mediation, P.C.
Speaking Engagements
Adoptive Parent Training, Quarterly Adoptive Parent Workshops, Anchorage
Catholic Social Services
Legal portion of adoptive parent training
Adoptive Parent Training, Quarterly Adoptive Parent Workshops, Anchorage
Catholic Social Services
Legal portion of adoptive parent training
Professional Associations
Alaska State Bar  # 8811198
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Alaska Association of Collaborative Professionals
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Practice Areas
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Arbitration & Mediation
    Business Arbitration, Consumer Arbitration, Family Arbitration
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Juvenile Law
    Appeals & Appellate
    Civil Appeals, Federal Appeals
    Domestic Violence
    Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Victims Rights , Victims Rights
Additional Practice Areas
  • Adoption
  • Collaborative Law
  • Collaborative Divorce
  • Child Abuse & Neglect
  • OCS Relative Placement
  • French: Written
  • German: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. The father of my child fled the state of Maine to Alaska. We had an agreement that she could go visit him for the summer
A: It sounds like you do not have a custody order in any state, and you had an informal agreement. Yes, violation of a well documented agreement might weigh against the parent who violates it, especially if it creates anxiety for the child, who may not now know where she will be living from one day to the next. However, that will only be one of many factors. But before you even get into that, you need to think about what state has jurisdiction to hear a custody dispute. Who files first doesn't determine that. I believe Maine and Alaska have similar laws on jurisdiction. (Consult a lawyer licensed in Maine about that.) Generally, a child must have lived in a state for six months (not counting temporary absences) before a state can exercise custody jurisdiction. If you want the court in Maine to handle this, you may need to file a custody case immediately. Jurisdiction can be a complicated area of the law (for example, what constitutes a "temporary absence"). There are several other variables, so you'll definitely need to consult with a Maine attorney about how to assert jurisdiction in Maine, and how to respond to the father's objections.
Q. I need help answering child custody and adoption q&a in alaska and arizona.
A: Yes, your relatives can do two things. They can intervene in the CINA case to contest OCS's placement decision, and they can file an adoption petition, which would probably be assigned to the same judge handling the CINA case. They should have legal assistance for that, as there is lots of other information that would be needed to determine the best approach.
Q. If I die does my son’s father automatically get custody?
A: Yes. It's not even clear that any action by the court would be needed. He was already able to exercise legal custody, and after your death, he would have the clear right to physical custody. Grandparents would have no right to custody, though they could ask for visitation if the father unreasonably denied it, to the detriment of the child. Grandparents could also ask for custody, but they would not succeed unless they could prove the father represents a clear danger to the child due to a history of child abuse or neglect, severe substance abuse, or something like that. It's very very difficult for a third party to remove custody from a parent. The only way to prevent the above from happening would be for a step-parent to adopt the child (while you are still living). That would require proper notice to the father.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Stefan Otterson's Website Profile
Otterson Law & Mediation, P.C. Website
Contact & Map
Otterson Law & Mediation, P.C.
425 G St
Anchorage, AK 99501
Telephone: (907) 868-5050