Free Consultation: (312) 300-4743Tap to Call This Lawyer
Stephanie Sexauer

Stephanie Sexauer

Owner, Probate Practice, Sexauer Law, P.C.
  • Probate, Elder Law, Estate Planning ...
  • Illinois
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Ms. Sexauer focuses her practice on probate matters, including: elder law, guardianship, estate planning, wills, trusts, and will contests. She is a member of the Chicago Bar Association and the Illinois State Bar Association. Stephanie speaks Spanish fluently and is regularly selected by Cook County judges to serve as a court-appointed Guardian ad Litem for disabled adults. Stephanie also serves on the Judicial Evaluation Committee of the Chicago Bar Association.

The John Marshall Law School
The John Marshall Law School Logo
Professional Experience
Owner, Lawyer
Sexauer Law, P.C.
- Current
Ruben Garca, P.C.
Articles & Publications
2014 Supplement of Guardianship for Disabled Adults, Advance Directives and Mental Health Law
Speaking Engagements
Vice Chair, CBA Young Lawyer Section's Estates and Trusts Group Annual Seminar, Chicago Bar Association 321 S. Plymouth Court Chicago, IL 60603
Chicago Bar Association
Moderated a 3 hour panel on pitfalls in estate planning, estate administration, and guardianship.
Vice Chair, CBA Youn Lawyer
Center for Conflict Resolution
Dean's Scholarship
The John Marshall Law School
Professional Associations
Illinois State Bar  # 6311374
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Practice Areas
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
    Elder Law
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Nursing Home Abuse
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. At what size Net Worth should I consider a Trust instead of a Will?
A: Hi there, Congratulations for considering an estate plan! It's so important to do this as soon as you're able, but we know most people don't (which makes their estates ultimately much messier and more expensive when they become disabled or die). I'm assuming you're referencing what's called a "revocable" living trust (as opposed to "irrevocable"). In Illinois, we generally know an estate will be subject to probate if: 1) you own real estate (even with a mortgage) 2) you have assets over $100,000 (both assuming these assets are not jointly owned, in trust, or name a beneficiary) We also know a minor or adult guardianship estate may be needed, depending on various factors (if a beneficiary is a minor or disabled adult, if the grantor becomes disabled during life due to accident or incapacity, etc.). I think you should consult an attorney you're comfortable with to discuss your specific needs to see if you might benefit from a trust-based estate plan. Please note, this is not legal advice and we have not established an attorney/client relationship. Please do reach out to me directly at (312)300-4743 or if you'd like to schedule a consultation with me. Thank you!
Q. My mother lent my brother 55k dollars to pay for his divorce 15 yrs ago. He only paid her back about 29k before he died.
A: Hi there, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. I hope you're all hanging in there. In Illinois, if your brother didn't have children, his assets (that don't name a beneficiary or joint owner) would pass to his wife. If there was a probate proceeding, creditors (like your mother) would have an opportunity to file a claim so that he or she can be paid prior to the assets being distributed to the heir. If the new wife knew your mother was owed money, she should've been given a very specific notice saying this. If the new wife didn't know your brother owed money to your mother, all creditors have a 6 month period to come forward. Depending on the timing of this, your mother may have a chance to still file a claim. Please call a local probate attorney to discuss this. Please note, the above should not be misconstrued as legal advice, and we have not established an attorney/client relationship.
Q. My mother passed away with an irrevocable family trust. Under the terms I am the beneficiary. How do I get assets?
A: Hi there, To start off, I'm really sorry to hear you're going through this. From what you say, it sounds like your father is wrongfully withholding/assets from you. I'd be happy to speak with you about some options, if you'd like to give me a call at (312)300-4743 or send me an email at Best, Stephanie Sexauer
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Sexauer Law PC
Contact & Map
Sexauer Law, P.C.
180 N. LaSalle Street Suite 3700
Chicago, IL 60601
Telephone: (312) 300-4743
Fax: (312) 300-4893
Monday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed (Today)
Sunday: Closed