Stephen M. Asbel

Stephen M. Asbel

Reger Rizzo & Darnall LLP
  • Estate Planning, Business Law, Real Estate Law
  • New Jersey, Pennsylvania
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial Media
Villanova University
J.D. | Law
Villanova University Logo
University of Pennsylvania
B.A. | International Relations
Honors: Cum Laude, Distinction in Major, Pi Gamma Mu Social Science Honor Society, Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society
Activities: Penn Band, College Bowl
University of Pennsylvania Logo
Professional Experience
Reger Rizzo & Darnall LLP
Articles & Publications
Why You Should Pre-Plan Your Funeral
Client Alert
Protecting Your Will and Other Documents from Potential Challenges by Angry Relatives
Client Alert
Mark Twain was Wrong – New Land is Being Made But Who Owns It?
Client Alert
Speaking Engagements
Interviewed on Safe Money Radio
WDEL 1150 AM
September 2013
Boutique Estate Planning
Corporate INTL Global Awards
Top Lawyers
Main Line Today
Top Estate Planning and Administration Attorneys List
Suburban Life Magazine
Distinguished Peer Rated for High Professional Achievement with High Ethical Standing
Lead Counsel Rated Attorney in Estate Planning Law
Lead Counsel
Lead Counsel Rated Attorney in Probate Law
Lead Counsel
Who’s Who in Executives and Professionals
Who's Who
Professional Associations
Philadelphia Estate Planning Council
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Delaware County Panel of Attorneys for Arbitrators
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Delaware County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New Jersey
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Practice Areas
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
    Real Estate Law
    Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
  • English: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. Obtaining guardianship of a minors estate?
A: A guardianship of a minor's estate is required if the amount of the minor's assets exceeds $25,000.00. A guardianship of a minor's would be established by petitioning through the Orphans Court Division of the Court in your county.

It is important to note, however that while you can file the petition to appoint a guardian, under Pennsylvania law, the Court cannot appoint a minor's parent as a sole guardian of a minor's estate. You would thus need someone else to be the guardian. You could be appointed as a co-guardian along with the other guardian.
Q. Am I legally required probate husband's will if he left entire estate to me ?
A: If both you and your husband's name are on the deeds for these properties, then your ownership probably was "tenancy by the entireties" - a form of ownership for married couples under which when one spouse dies, the suriving spouse becomes the sole owner by survivorship. The exception would be if the deed contained language saying that you and your husband had a different type of ownership such as a "tenancy in common."

Assuming that the deed does not have such wording stating a different form of ownership so that it is tenancy by the entireties, you do not need to probate your husband's will to sell these properties.

To know for certain what form of ownership you have, I suggest you have the deeds reviewed by an attorney with experience in this area. ... Read More
Q. My grandfather left his house to me in his will ,so after the reading of the will can I change the locks on the house
A: The short answer is no. The house must pass through the estate administration. The executor must first ensure that your grandfather's debts, if any are addressed, that the administrative expenses of the estate are paid, and the required inheritance tax and any other tax obligations that may exist are addressed. Payment of all of these obligations must be addressed before assets can be distributed to beneficiaries named in the Will. Assuming all of those obligations are met, then the executor would transfer the house from the estate to you if that is what the WIll calls for. So you will need to wait a bit for the administration to be carried out before you can start doing things like changing locks. ... Read More
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Stephen M. Asbel's Website Profile
Reger Rizzo & Darnall LLP Website
Contact & Map
Reger Rizzo & Darnall LLP
Philadelphia, PA
Cira Centre, 13th Floor
2929 Arch St
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Telephone: (215) 495-6500
Fax: (215) 495-6600