Free Consultation: (757) 955-7739Tap to Call This Lawyer
Steve Miyares

Steve Miyares

Your guide you to navigate the legal maze.
  • Criminal Law, DUI & DWI, Traffic Tickets ...
  • Virginia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

A resident of Virginia Beach for over 30 years, Mr. Miyares has deep roots in our community. A graduate of Kellam High School in Virginia Beach, Mr. Miyares went on to attend Old Dominion University in Norfolk. After earing a B.S. in Political Science in 2000, Mr Miyares earned his J.D. in 2003 from the T.C. Williams School of Law at the University of Richmond. After his admission to the Virginia Bar in 2003, Mr. Miyares proudly worked in the office of the Norfolk Public Defender. During 8 years in that office, Mr. Miyares gained valuable trial practice experience defending all types of cases ranging from minor misdemeanors to serious violent felony offenses. In 2011, Mr. Miyares teamed up with a collegue to form the law firm of Miyares and Knight, P.C. and expanded his practice to include additional areas of civil litigation. Since 2013 when his partner left the practice of law, Mr. Miyares has worked as a solo practitioner focused on developing strong attorney-client relationships that combine efforts to make sure the client fully understands the law in his or her case with aggressive trial representation to protect the client's interests.

University of Richmond School of Law
J.D. (2003)
University of Richmond School of Law Logo
Old Dominion University
B.S. (2000) | Political Science
Old Dominion University Logo
Professional Experience
Law Office of Steven Miyares
- Current
Miyares & Knight, P.C.
Assistant Public Defender
Norfolk Public Defender's Office
Professional Associations
Virginia State Bar  # 65755
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
    Free initial consultation and case evaluation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    All major credit cards
  • Contingent Fees
    Schedule a free consultation for full fee details and arrangements
Practice Areas
Criminal Law
Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
Traffic Tickets
Suspended License
Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
Estate Planning
Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
Family Law
Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
  • English: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. I'm moving to Canada and I have no court order to even have visitation of my son how do I make it so he can visit me?
A: Moving to Canad is a significant chamge in circumstances since the Court last made a custody decision 5 years ago. Based on the chang in circumstances, you can petitin the court to modify the visitation schedule from the prior order. You should consult with an attorney to help you pursue the best optins in your particular situation.
Q. what happens if a parent isn't following a visitation order to see his children?
A: The court has no power to force a noncustodial parent to exercise visitation. When the court orders visitation, it is ensuring that the noncustodial parent is not denied an opportunity to spend time with their children. If the parent chooses to jot take that opportunity and chooses to not see their children, the court can’t force them to visit.
Q. Hi there, I live in Marion VA. I have a daughter that is 15 years old. Can she have say so in visitation?
A: One of the statutory factors a Virginia court must consider in visitation orders is the preference of the child in light of the child’s age and maturity level. Therefore, the court would not have put much weight on the preference of a 6 year old child, the court would give more consideration to the preference of a 15 year old child along with all the other factors the court must consider.

You should consult with a family law attorney to discuss the specifics of your case and to discuss your options, including the possibility of returning to court to modify the visitation order. Good luck
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Contact & Map
5900 East Virginia Beach Blvd.
Suite 202
Norfolk, VA 23502
Telephone: (757) 955-7739
Fax: (757) 644-1290