Profile Image Placeholder

Thomas Briody

  • Civil Rights, Criminal Law, DUI & DWI ...
  • Rhode Island
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A
Professional Associations
Rhode Island State Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Rhode Island
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Practice Areas
Civil Rights
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Discrimination, Employment, Fair Housing, Police Misconduct, Privacy Law
Criminal Law
Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
International Law
Human Rights, Imports & Exports
Medical Malpractice
Birth Injury, Medical Misdiagnosis, Pharmacy Errors, Surgical Errors
Personal Injury
Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
Additional Practice Area
  • Car Accidents
Legal Answers
Q. How do i contact my public defender after a decade
A: I doubt your public defender will still be assigned to this case. You could contact the public defender’s office and explain the situation. Or you could contact a private lawyer. There may be a warrant out for you. But it should not be difficult, if it’s a misdemeanor and you have had no other trouble, to clear the warrant and resolve the case.
Q. I was arrested for taking my wife's phone when she threatened to call the police. They asked me in my home if I took her
A: The answer is most like yes, your statement is admissible. The police will argue that you were not in custody at the time you made the statement. Miranda warnings (rights, as you call them) are only required to be administered when you are not free to leave and the police question you. You need to retain a lawyer and look carefully at the facts surrounding the police questioning you.
Q. I have a no contact order against me by my wife. If I change my FB profile picture to us and two kids is it a violation?
A: This is a very bad idea. It will be interpreted as an attempt to connect with her, in violation of the order. Maybe you could argue that is not your intent, but I highly doubt that a judge will believe you. Don’t do it.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
91 Friendship St
Providence, RI 02903
Telephone: (401) 751-5151
Fax: (401) 331-7454