Tom Farrell is one of the most experienced and respected family law
attorneys in Hawaii. With over 28 years in Hawaiis Family Courts, he is
the first and only lawyer in Hawaii to be certified as a family law specialist
by the National Board of Trial Advocacy (accredited by the American Bar
Association). His practice emphasizes complex divorce litigation and
related family law issues such as interstate custody disputes, family
violence, child support, alimony claims, and division of assets and debts.
A retired Colonel in the Army Reserve and a veteran of Operation Iraqi
Freedom, he understands the special issues confronting military families.
Mr. Farrell, also handles national security cases involving revocation or
denial of security clearances for Defense Department contractors,
employees, and military personnel. He is a graduate of Punahou School,
the University of Hawaii, the University of Santa Clara School of Law, and
holds a master's degree from the US Army War College. From 1982-
1995, he served as a Deputy Attorney General for the State of Hawaii
- Santa Clara University
- J.D. (1980)
- United States Army War College
- M.A. (2002) | Strategic Studies
- University of Hawaii - Manoa
- B.A. (1977)
- Punahou School
- Diploma (1974)
- Sole practitioner (Honolulu, Hawaii).
- 2007-present: Conduct jury and bench trials in Family Court involving contested divorce, local and inter-state child custody disputes, contested guardianships, criminal domestic violence, child protective services and enforcement of child support. Hawaii's first and only board-certified specialist in family law. Inaugural class, Hawaii SuperLawyers (Family Law 2008). Also represent service members, civilian employees, and defense contractors in cases involving denial or revocation of Department of Defense security clearances.
- Senior Counsel, Coates & Frey (Honolulu, Hawaii).
- 1995-2007: Lead trial counsel in Honolulu’s oldest and largest family law practice. Coordinate trials among nine attorneys, establish and implement litigation policy and procedures, assist other attorneys with formulation of strategy, tactics, and case management.
- Deputy Attorney General, State of Hawaii.
- 1982-1995: General counsel to the Department of Human Services, Department of Public Safety, and Child Support Enforcement Agency. Represented the State before all state and federal courts and administrative tribunals. Conducted investigations and prosecuted civil and criminal enforcement actions. Provided legal advice to the Governor, Legislature, and state officials. Drafted and reviewed legislation, contracts and administrative rules. Provided training to state employees on legal issues.
- Family Law Trial Specialist
- National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Hawaii State Bar
- - Current
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- - Current
- Activities: Lawyer Information & Referral Service (Chair, 1999-2001 and 2008-present); Family Law Section; Government Attorneys Section (Chair, 1993); participant LegaLines, Professionals for Drug Free Kids, Speaker's Bureau. Arbitrator, Court-Annexed Arbitration Program. Member, Strategic Planning Committee (1994-95, 1999). Co-Authored Government Attorney Compensation: A Comparative Study (HSBA 1993). 1988 Award from Health & Community Services Council for pro bono services to the elderly; HSBA Outstanding Volunteer Award (June 2000). Volunteer attorney, Volunteer Legal Services Hawaii.
- United States Army Reserve
- Intelligence Officer
- Activities: Colonel (retired), Military Intelligence. Mobilized and served in Baghdad 2005-2006 as G2, 322nd Civil Affairs Brigade (TF-351), Multi-National Corps Iraq. Past assignments have included tours as Scout Platoon Leader and Intelligence Officer - 100th Battalion/442d Infantry; Opposing Forces Controller; Executive Officer - 114th Military Intelligence Detachment; Instructor/TAC Officer - Hawaii National Guard Officer Candidate School; Secretary to the General Staff - IX Corps (Reinforcement); Commander - 305th Public Affairs Detachment; Commander, U. S. Army Japan Support Unit. Graduate, Military Intelligence Officer’s Advanced Course, Civil Affairs Officer’s Advanced Course, U. S. Army Command & General Staff College, Defense Information School, and U. S. Army War College. Also mobilized and served on active duty in support of Operation Noble Eagle (homeland defense) from November 2001 to April 2002. Decorations include Bronze Star, Legion of Merit, Meritorious Service Medal. Retired October 2006 with 29+ years of commissioned service.
- 9th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Free Consultation
- Credit Cards Accepted
- Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
Please visit my website, www.farrell-hawaii.com for additional information about my fees.
- Domestic Violence
- Family Law