Brent Bowden

Brent Bowden

Estate Planning, Probate, Real Estate & Business Law
  • Estate Planning, Business Law, Probate ...
  • Washington
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

A Pacific Northwest native, I grew up on Whidbey Island before moving to Seattle to attend the University of Washington. I received my law degree magna cum laude from Vermont Law School and was admitted to the Washington State Bar in 2011. Prior to joining Gillin Law Group, I was of counsel at Genesis Law Firm for three years and an associate at Purcell Legal & Mediation Services for two years. Prior to that, I was an Assistant City Attorney with the Seattle City Attorney’s Office for three years.

Vermont Law School
J.D. (2011) | Law
Honors: Magna cum laude
Activities: Vermont Journal of Environmental Law, Symposium Editor SBA Executive Committee, IT Committee Chair
Vermont Law School Logo
University of Washington
B.A. (2006) | Political Science
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Experience
Gillin Law Group, PLLC
- Current
Genesis Law Firm, PLLC
Purcell Legal & Mediation Services, PLLC
Assistant City Attorney
City of Seattle
Magna Cum Laude
Vermont Law School
Academic Excellence Award for Environmental ADR
Vermont Law School
Award for highest grade in class
Academic Excellence Award for Environmental Law
Vermont Law School
Award for highest grade in class
Professional Associations
Washington State Bar Association  # 44316
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    My hourly rate is $280. Flat rates also available for some services.
Practice Areas
Estate Planning
Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
Business Law
Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
Landlord Tenant
Evictions, Housing Discrimination, Landlord Rights, Rent Control, Tenants' Rights
Real Estate Law
Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
Immigration Law
Asylum, Deportation Defense, Work Visas
Legal Answers
Q. When a person passes and there is a will shouldn't all parties be notified? And if there not what do you do?
A: The heirs should be notified when a probate is opened. However, it is not always the case that someone opens a probate. If no probate was opened and nobody was appointed Personal Representative, there would be nothing to give notice of.
Q. In Washington, does RCW 59.18.060 (6) mean my landlord has to give me a key rather than relying on an electronic lock?
A: I am not aware of any caselaw answering the question directly. The statute likely predates the prevalence of electronic locks and codes, but it certainly raises issues if they only give you a code and not a physical key. If the power goes out/battery dies/tech malfunctions, etc. Not to mention it makes it a lot easier for a landlord to lock you out of your apartment illegally.

RCW 59.18.060 ( and RCW 59.18.070 ( do provide a remedy if a landlord does not comply with the requirement to give you a key pursuant to RCW 59.18.060, but I would definitely suggest consulting with an attorney. There is a risk in using those remedies. Namely, if a court finds you used them wrongfully, the rent you withheld could be the basis for an eviction. I am not aware of any clear statutory authority or case law that makes it clear an electronic code is not sufficient to satisfy the requirement of a "key." And you can certainly imagine a court ruling that a code or password is an electronic key. ... Read More
Q. Can my landlord make me pay using a cashiers check after one returned rent payment?
A: RCW 59.18.063 requires that a landlord accept a personal check, cashier's check, or money order. Except that they do not have to accept a personal check if one has been returned NSF in the last 9 months.

So, under the relevant law in Washington, they can demand a cashier's check or money order for nine months after a check bounces. That being said, if the lease says they can only demand after two bounces, I would say the lease controls. It seems to me that the CC failing to process would count for two reasons: 1) I am assuming it occurred before the lease was signed; and 2) it does not sound like it was a returned payment but an unaccepted payment method.

That all being said, it is impossible to give actual advice without reading the lease and hearing what the landlord's argument or explanation is. I would suggest you get advice from a qualified lawyer in your area.
... Read More
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Contact & Map
Gillin Law Group, PLLC
19910 50th Ave W, Ste 205
Lynnwood, WA 98036
Telephone: (425) 947-1130
Monday: 9 AM - 5:30 PM (Today)
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5:30 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5:30 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 5:30 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5:30 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed