Free Consultation: (888) 488-7878Tap to Call This Lawyer
C. Lawrence Huddleston III

C. Lawrence Huddleston III

Life's a Journey ... We Have the Maps™
  • Estate Planning, Probate, Elder Law
  • Ohio
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

• Board-Certified Specialist, Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law
• 22 years' Estate Planning, Trust and Probate law experience
• Founding Member and frequent speaker, WealthCounsel, LLC
• Fellow, Esperti Peterson Institute for Advanced Wealth Strategies Planning
• Fellow, The Laureate Circle
• Member, Professional Advisory Committee, The Columbus Foundation
• Member, ePlanners Educational Alliance
• Board Member, Christian Legal Society of Central Ohio
• Accredited Attorney – U. S. Veterans Administration
• Honoree, Leave A Legacy Award – Central Ohio Planned Giving Council
• Rated AV “Pre-eminent” by Martindale-Hubbell / Lawyers.Com
• Rated “10.0 - Superb” by AVVO.Com
• Co-author, "For Ohio Doctors: Shedding Light on Asset Protection, Tax and Estate Planning" (2010)

Capital University Law School
J.D. (1977) | Law
Capital University Law School Logo
Professional Experience
Founder & Manager
Huddleston Law Group
- Current
Articles & Publications
For Ohio Doctors Only - Shedding Light on Asset Protection, Tax & Estate Planning
Guardian Publishing, LLC
Speaking Engagements
Dozens, Nationwide - 21 States
Dozens of Legal, Financial and Lay Organizatons
Numerous, Nationwide - 21 States
Dozens of Legal, Financial and Lay Organizatons
Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law
Ohio State Bar Association/Ohio Supreme Court
Leave-A-Legacy Award
Central Ohio Council on Planned Giving
Nominated by the Ohio State University Office of Planned Giving for Leadership in Structuring the founding gift for the McCorkle Aquatic Pavilion, and other community planned giving activity
Professional Associations
Ohio State Bar
- Current
Activities: Estate Planning & Probate Law Committee
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
4th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
6th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. Supreme Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
    Free consultations for referred clients and others who fully complete our comprehensive "Family & Financial Information" form
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Practice Areas
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
    Elder Law
Additional Practice Areas
  • Trusts & Trust Administration
  • Asset Protection
  • English
Legal Answers
Q. Is there any way to get around buying a sibling out of a property, in a situation where there is no will?
A: No. Unless the sibling wants to give his or her share to you. If there is debt and the sibling doesn't want to share in the debt, you have some additional negotiating power. And if there are other assets, maybe the sibling would rather have those assets and let you keep the real estate. If you are appointed Administrator, you can receive an Administrator's Commission (4% of the first $100,000, 3% of the next $300,000 per statute), which could help you a little bit.
Q. My father passed away in April 2020. His estate was filed into probate in August 2020. I am one of the beneficiaries.
A: It is up to the Trustee when to distribute funds to the beneficiaries. The trustee has the right to make interim distributions before everything is final, but is likely that the Trustee prefers to get all income taxes settled before making distributions. It is not unreasonable to delay distributions while the taxes get settled, and that may not be for another few months. If you have need of the funds, you may consider hiring your own lawyer to request an accounting and have a frank discussion about making interim distributions of some amount.
Q. My mom and I refinanced her house almost 2 years ago, she passed in Dec. Now my brother want to take it.
A: Your brother’s age is irrelevant. Who signed the mortgage is irrelevant. If your mother had a Will, it dictates where her money and property goes. If she had no Will, the law decides where her money and property goes after enforceable debts are paid, but creditors must act to enforce the debts so if you are careful, it may be possible to avoid all debts except the mortgage. If you and your mother were on the deed (not mortgage) together and it says “joint with rights of survivorship” then your brother has no rights whatsoever to the property. The mortgage must be paid off unless the lender will allow you to assume the mortgage yourself. There are many issues here and you are going to need an expert probate lawyer to help you.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Contact & Map
Columbus Office
First Merchants Bank Building, Suite 210
3650 Olentangy River Rd
Columbus, OH 43214
Telephone: (614) 488-7878
Fax: (614) 246-7108
Dayton Office
1800 Lyons Road
Centerville, OH 45458
Toll-Free: (888) 488-7878
Telephone: (937) 438-3122
Fax: (614) 246-7108