Free Consultation: (612) 231-9865Tap to Call This Lawyer
Profile Image Placeholder

Corwin Kruse

Kruse Family Law: Because Families Matter
  • Family Law, Divorce
  • Minnesota
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Corwin R. Kruse, Esq.


J.D., William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota, magna cum laude
Editor: William Mitchell Law Review

M.A., Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania
Major: Sociology

B.S., University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
Honors: Dean's List
Major: Sociology

B.B.A., University of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD.

Honors: Dean's List

Major: Business Administration


Minnesota, 2004

U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota, 2005


Katz & Manka, Ltd., Family Law Attorney, 2010-2019

William Mitchell College of Law, Adjunct Professor, 2005-2016

Dorsey & Whitney LLP, Associate, 2005-2009

Minnesota Court of Appeals, Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Jill Flaskamp Halbrooks, 2004-2005


Professional Experience
Kruse Family Law PLLC
- Current
Katz & Manka, Ltd.
Family law attorney with experience in divorce, custody, parenting-time, and post-decree matters.
Professional Associations
State Bar of Minnesota  # 0334418
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Minnesota Supreme Court
ID Number: 0334418
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Practice Areas
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
Legal Answers
Q. Are mom's automatically awarded sole physical and legal custody if the parents were never married in Minnesota.
A: If never married, and there is no adjudication of paternity, the mother has sole physical and legal custody. The father has no child support obligation and no right to parenting time, unless and until a court orders it.
Q. If I’m getting child support and I’m the only one caring for child is the other parent allowed to claim child on taxes
A: If the issues is not addressed in the decree, IRS rules govern. The parent with the child the majority of the time gets to claim the child. If both parents have equal time, the parent with higher income claims.
Q. Hello, I have been taking care of my nephew, every weekend, since his birth( he is 2.5). What could I do to legally
A: You could bring a motion for custody as a de facto custodian, if you’ve cared for the child at least six months in the last 24 (need not be consecutive), however the statute also requires that you be the “primary” caregiver. If the child is with you on weekends and with mom during the week, it doesn’t appear that you would meet this criterion.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Kruse Family Law, PLLC website
Twin Cities Family Law Blog
Contact & Map
Kruse Family Law
4401 Upton Ave. South
Telephone: (612) 231-9865
Monday: 9 AM - 4 PM (Today)
Tuesday: 9 AM - 4 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 4 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 4 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 4 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed