Free Consultation: (580) 219-5700Tap to Call This Lawyer
Profile Image Placeholder

Evan Humphreys

Giving power back to those who need it most.
  • Family Law, Appeals & Appellate, Civil Rights ...
  • Oklahoma
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Evan Humphreys was born and raised in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He graduated from Atlanta, Georgia's Emory University School of Law in 2016. At Emory, he was a managing editor at one of the school's law journals and was a volunteer at the veteran's clinic. In 2017, he moved to Guymon, Oklahoma to work for a statewide non-profit law firm. For five years, he represented hard-working people who couldn't afford an attorney in family law, consumer protection, tenants' rights, and victims' rights cases. He is now a solo practitioner in Guymon representing clients in family law, appellate, and civil litigation cases.

Emory University School of Law
Emory University School of Law Logo
Professional Experience
Law Office of Evan Humphreys, PLLC
- Current
Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma
Professional Associations
Oklahoma Bar Association  # 33008
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Oklahoma Bar Association
ID Number: 33008
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Practice Areas
Family Law
Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
Appeals & Appellate
Civil Appeals, Federal Appeals
Civil Rights
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Discrimination, Employment, Fair Housing, Police Misconduct, Privacy Law
Consumer Law
Class Action, Lemon Law
Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
Domestic Violence
Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Victims Rights
Foreclosure Defense
Landlord Tenant
Evictions, Housing Discrimination, Landlord Rights, Rent Control, Tenants' Rights
Personal Injury
Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
  • English: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. Submitted my Petition in errors, and certified order to the Supreme Court. How long after for transcripts and briefs?
A: Rules vary for criminal and civil appeals and there are further differences within civil appeals based on the type of case and the type of order you are appealing from. But the general rule is that the record must be completed within six months of the date of the order appealed. And the brief in chief is due within 60 days of the filing of the Notice of Completion of Record. Missing deadlines can cause your case to be dismissed so reach out to an appellate attorney to see if any special rules apply to your case.
Q. What is the proper procedure for changing my last name to something different after divorce?
A: The law allows you to go back to any former name when the divorce is granted. So if you have a previous married name, you can return to that name. If you have no former name other than your maiden name, you can still change your name to anything by filing a name change case. Basically, you say under oath that you aren’t changing your name for an illegal or fraudulent purpose and you publish notice of the name change in the newspaper. You can find a name change form with instructions here:
Q. On the divorce decree it states my ex can claim our daughter until no longer eligible. (Very loose language) however,
A: It really depends on the wording of your decree. The IRS has its own rules about which parent can claim the children on their taxes and they often don't care what a decree says. However, and this is very important, a divorce decree is an enforceable court order and disobeying it can put you in contempt of court. That can mean monetary sanctions and, in some cases, jail time. The best thing you can do is talk to an attorney in your area and at least get some advice on what to do. They may be able to help you modify the decree, so you can claim your daughter in the future. But get a licensed attorney to review the language and advise you before you do anything else.
View More Answers
Social Media
Websites & Blogs
Contact & Map
114 NE 5th St.
Guymon, OK 73942
Telephone: (580) 219-5700