Free Consultation: (623) 252-0292Tap to Call This Lawyer
Gregory Christopher Poulos

Gregory Christopher Poulos

  • Estate Planning, Probate, Business Law ...
  • Arizona, New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Greg counsels clients on the best strategies for accomplishing their estate planning and business goals. Greg starts by “Putting His Clients at Legal Ease” so that they understand the legal issues and risks they face. He does this so his client understand their circumstances and can make better informed choices to protect their assets and their loved ones. With 30+ years experience, Greg has counseled hundreds of clients, guiding them through their legal and business issues.

Brooklyn Law School
J.D. | Law
Brooklyn Law School Logo
New York University
B.A. | Economics; Philosophy
New York University Logo
New York University
MBA | Accounting
New York University Logo
Professional Associations
New York State Bar  # 1909290
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Practice Areas
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
    Elder Law
  • English: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. If a decedent did not leave a will and spouse receives a check in the decedents name, does the spouse go Thru probate
A: There is not enough information in your questions to provide a full answer. It may depend upon the amount of the check and the possible beneficiaries. If the amount of the check is below the amount required for filing probate in Arizona you may be able to contact the issuer and have them re-issue the check when you present them will the proper affidavit for the distribution of personal property. If the amount of the check is too high, a probate may be necessary. Again the check in that case would have to be reissued in the name of the estate. At this point, you cannot do anything with that check.
Q. AZ Beneficiary Deed… can I include a life estate and also specify that property must be held rights of survivorship
A: This sounds like you are attempting to use a beneficiary deed instead of a proper estate plan.

Beneficiary deeds are intended to be used for simple transfers of real property after a person's death. While what you are suggesting can be inserted in the deed, it is highly likely that title and possession issues will arise upon your death. So, yes it may be possible, but more than likely you are created potential problems for your heirs. For example who will pay for the cost of living in the property during the life estate? When does the life estate terminate? Just putting the term "life estate" in a deed does not answer any of these questions.

Instead of trying to use a beneficiary deed for estate planning purposes you should consider engaging an estate planning attorney to provide you with better alternatives. Yes there is a cost but the cost to your heirs if there is a problem down the road will be much higher if things go wrong. ... Read More
Q. can an executor of a trust be removed if he has failed to inform the beneficiary when it became irrevocable 2 1/2 yrs
A: When a person has a trust, it becomes irrevocable upon their death. The successor trustee of has a fiduciary and legal obligation to report to the beneficiaries of a trust.

At a minimum, assuming you are a beneficiary, you should have been provided with, at a minimum, a copy of the relevant sections of the trust and at the one year mark been provided with a trustee's report.

The fact that there has been no communication for three years suggests either that something is wrong or that you are not actually a beneficiary. Either way, if you have not received any information, my suggestion is that you seek the assistance of an attorney who is familiar with trust administration and have them contact your uncle on your behalf. ... Read More
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Poulos Law Firm Website
Poulos Law Firm Blog
Contact & Map
11120 North Tatum Blvd
Suite 101
Phoenix, AZ 85028
Telephone: (623) 252-0292
Fax: (623) 321-1525