Free Consultation: (818) 224-4500Tap to Call This Lawyer
James Geoffrey Beirne

James Geoffrey Beirne

National Association of Bankruptcy Attorneys
  • Bankruptcy, Estate Planning, Immigration Law
  • California, Nevada
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Over 20 years experience with consumer Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcies, lien avoidance and income tax discharge.

Southwestern Law School
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Experience
National Association of Bankruptcy Attorneys
Bankruptcy Pro Bono Project
- Current
Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Current
Speaking Engagements
Introduction to Consumer Bankruptcy Law, United States Bankruptcy Court
Central District of California Bankruptcy Attorneys
Dishcharging Taxes in Bankruptcy
Debtor Assistance Project
United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of Calif.
Professional Associations
Central District of California Bankruptcy Attorney Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
National Association of Bankruptcy Attorneys
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
9th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    For Estate Planning and Immigration Law. Obviously not for bankruptcy.
Practice Areas
Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, Debt Relief
Estate Planning
Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
Immigration Law
Asylum, Citizenship, Deportation Defense, Family Visas, Green Cards, Immigration Appeals, Investment Visas, Marriage & Fiancé(e) Visas, Student Visas, Visitor Visas, Work Visas
Legal Answers
Q. I need a lawyer to work with my sister who is deaf but reads lips. One who treats her with respect.
A: Every client deserves respect. Your sister can have a Revocable Living Trust that specifically divides the home evenly between her son and daughter. How is the daughter blocking your sister's wishes?
Q. Can illegal immigrant applying 4 a green card thru marriage be eligible for adjustment of status if they entered illegal
A: If you came into the country without documentation you will have to consular process. That means that you will file your spousal petition I-130 then when it gets approved you make an appointment to process through the consulate, e.g. Ciudad Juarez. They will ask for a waiver of your unlawful presence and that could take 9 months to a year. To avoid that, once you have an approve family (spousal ) petition you prepare and file a 601A waiver for the unlawful presence. You will have to show hardship to a qualifying relative (your spouse). You send that off and wait for an answer and when it comes back YES/APPROVED then you make the appointment to consular process. With your waiver you will only be out of the country for a week instead of months. Just make sure there are no other impediments to your receiving lawful permanent residence. ... Read More
Q. How can I add my domestic partner to my work health insurance if she dosent have a social security number
A: If you marry, then you can file a spousal petition for an immediate relative. Your partner will get work authorization and a social security number very quickly.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Contact & Map
16633 Ventura Blvd.
Suite 1200
Encino, CA 91436
Telephone: (818) 224-4500