Claimed Lawyer Profile
- University of South Carolina School of Law
- J.D. (1998)
- Activities: Law Review; Managing Editor of the Journal of Law and Education; Moot Court; Mock Trial
- Auburn University at Montgomery
- M.A. | English
- Emory University
- B.A. | English
- Activities: Debate
- Brown Williams, LLC
- - Current
- Opened practice which focuses on business litigation and First Amendment/defamation litigation.
- General Counsel
- Textile Management Associates, Inc.
- Served as General Counsel overseeing all corporate legal matters including litigation for numerous companies which combine to form the only fully vertically integrated carpet and synthetic turf manufacturers in the world. Companies are engaged in all aspects of manufacturing, with such well known synthetic turf brands as AstroTurf® and SYNLawn®. Responsible for corporate compliance and governance matters, including preparation of necessary policies and practices. Oversee legal aspect of all company legal activities, including contracts, employment matters, litigation and regulatory filings. ? Responsible for business and legal decisions regarding contractual and transactional negotiations, including acquisitions, employment arrangements, vendor, supplier, and distributor relations, and other matters. Advise on risk mitigation plans, legislative initiatives, and other matters impacting the corporations’ businesses and operations. ? Responsible for crisis management in high profile situations, e.g. products involving possible lead contamination. Coordinated public relations campaign to minimize exposure to the company. Worked closely with federal, state and local officials to ensure the company was in full compliance with all relevant laws. ? Oversee all litigation matters including developing and managing litigation budgets and strategies. Appear as lead counsel in both state and federal matters, drafting discovery, taking and defending depositions, all motions and trial of cases. ? Manage extensive intellectual property portfolio including the AstroTurf® and SYNLawn® family brands and numerous patents. ? Review and revise the corporate structure, including formation of numerous domestic entities, with a goal of risk management and long-term asset protection. Prepared a variety of corporate documents such as consulting and employment agreements with relevant restrictive covenants, licensing agreements, distributorship agreements, supply agreements, and confidentiality agreements. ? Oversee collection activities on delinquent consumer accounts, ensuring compliance with Fair Debt Collections Practices Act and applicable state collection laws, conducting periodic employee training sessions. ? Human Resource Liaison providing legal and compliance advice to the Human Resource Manager. Also created employee handbooks for companies and provided training for management and staff. Handled all EEOC compliance concerns and complaints.
- Senior Associate
- Krevolin and Horst
- Litigation associate involved in a variety on complex commercial litigation including corporate governance and shareholder disputes, real estate disputes, Titles I and VII claims, and publishing/First Amendment claims. ? Participated in all areas of trial preparation, from initial client interview, all phases of discovery, all motions, through and including trial and appeal. ? Litigated cases of first impression: Received favorable results in cases of first impression: Ledford v. Smith, 249 Ga. App. 719 (2005) (defining fiduciary duties as between members under Georgia’s LLC Act); Stewart v. Smith, 291 Ga. App. 86 (recognizing defamation in fiction).
- Assistant Attorney General
- Georgia Law Department
- ? Served in the Labor and Employment division litigating labor and employment cases on behalf of various divisions like the University of Georgia System, Teacher’s Retirement System, and Judicial Retirement System, Corrections, and State Patrol. Matters included defense of claims relating to Title VII, ADA, ADEA, USERRA and claims of retaliation.
- Neal Howard and Associates
- ? Participated in all areas of trial preparation, from initial client interview, all phases of discovery, all motions, through trial in a small litigation boutique. Litigated favorable result in case of first impression Garner v. Stone (DeKalb County State Court 1999) (psychological malpractice issue concerning Tarasoff warnings).
- Rising Star
- Super Lawyers
- South Carolina State Bar
- - Current
- Georgia Bar Association
- - Current
- Women in the Profession (Georgia Bar Association)
- Georgia Association of Women Lawyers
- Assistant Programs Coordinator
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- South Carolina
- Appeals & Appellate
- Civil Appeals, Federal Appeals
- Business Law
- Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
- Civil Rights
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Discrimination, Employment, Fair Housing, Police Misconduct, Privacy Law
- Employment Law
- Employee Benefits, Employment Contracts, Employment Discrimination, ERISA, Overtime & Unpaid Wages, Sexual Harassment, Whistleblower, Wrongful Termination
Additional Practice Area
Contact & Map