Joseph JohnsonJoseph R. Johnson, Esq., Central Florida Criminal Defense and DUI Attorney
- Criminal Law, DUI & DWI
I was first employed in the field of criminal justice in 1983. I worked for the Indiana University Police Department and was a law enforcement officer at the Bloomington, Indiana, campus. I graduated from Indiana University in 1985 with B.S. with a major in criminal justice.
I came to Florida in December 1985, when my Dad's employer transferred him from Indianapolis to Orlando. I became a Florida State Trooper in 1987. As a Trooper, I thought that the most interesting part of my job was going to Court. Thus, I decided to go to law school.
I started a Nova University Law School in 1990 and graduated in the summer of 1993. I participated in a Florida certified legal internship program in the summer of 1993 that allowed me to prosecute cases and represent the State of Florida in jury trials for the State Attorney's Office in Orlando.
After taking the Florida Bar Exam in February of 1994, I began working at the State Attorney's Office in Sanford, Florida, and then later came back to the Orlando States Attorney's Office.
In 1997, I started my own law practice and was married shortly thereafter. My wife, Aurora, who is originally from Honduras, helped me to become fluent in Spanish. We have four boys.
I have experience that few other attorneys can match, the experience of having been a law enforcement officer, a prosecutor, and a defense attorney. I enjoy practicing law and always make it my goal to represent clients to the best of my ability.
Education: Indiana University, B.S. in Criminal Justice (1985)
Nova University, Juris Doctor (1993)
Bar Memberships: Florida Bar- Admitted May 6th, 1994
U.S. District Court, Middle District- Admitted 1998
U.S. District Court, Northern District- Admitted 2009
U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit- Admitted 1998
- Assistant Public Defender
- Office of the Public Defender- 5th Circuit
- I returned to employment with the State of Florida for a year to obtain certain State of Florida benefits that I would be entitled to during and after this service. Obviously, I represented many people who were facing criminal charges during this time.
- Assistant State Attorney
- Office of the State Attorney- 18th and 9th Circuit
- I worked as an Assistant State Attorney from 1994 till near the end of 1996.
- Florida State Trooper
- Florida Highway Patrol
- I worked as Florida State Trooper in Orlando, Florida. Of course, I investigated numerous traffic accident and made numerous DUI arrests.
- police officer
- Indiana University Police Department
- Indiana University had a program where I went through a full police academy and became a State certified law enforcement officer while attending Indiana University. We patrolled the campus, dormitories, and worked at special events such as sporting events and concerts.
- Florida State Bar  # 2290
- - Current
- The Florida Bar
- ID Number: 0002290
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court, Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court, Northern District of Florida
- Criminal Law
- Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
- DUI & DWI
- English: Spoken, Written
- Spanish: Spoken