Profile Image Placeholder

Katherine Lovelace

  • Criminal Law
  • Colorado, Pennsylvania
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media
The University of Denver Sturm College of Law
Honors: American Jurisprudence Award
Activities: Student Law Office - Criminal representation, Internships at the National Conference of State Legislatures, Colorado Public Defender, and the Colorado Parole Project.
The University of Denver Sturm College of Law Logo
Carnegie Mellon University
M.P.M. | Public Management and Health Policy
Honors: Highest Academic Distinction
Carnegie Mellon University Logo
University of Pittsburgh
B.A. | Social Policy
Honors: Magna Cum Laude, Golden Key National Honor Society
Activities: Semester At Sea, Spring 1998
Placeholder image for education.
American University
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
Wesley Spectrum Services
Board Member
- Current
Activities: Providing transformational support for children and families as they strive to become more indepenent, responsible, and caring members of the community.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Hilltop Community Children's Center
Board Member
- Current
Activities: Serving at-risk children and their families in the Hilltop area of Pittsburgh.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Career Literacy for African American Youth
Volunteer Mentor
Activities: Working on-one-on with Pittsburgh Public School students to help prepare for post-secondary education and/or career planning.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Practice Area
    Criminal Law
    Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
Legal Answers
Q. Can my sister adopt my adopted son?
A: Courts will always consider what's in the best interest of the child in an adoption. But generally, if your sister is over 18 years old, emotionally and financially able to care for your son, and has no criminal or child abuse history, she will be eligible to petition to adopt. If your son is at least 12 years old, he will need to consent to the adoption. Whether or not the adoption is a success will also depend on the relationships between the parties, specifically your sister and your son. You would need to voluntarily terminate your parental rights and your sister would need to file a report of intent to adopt. You should talk with an attorney about the facts specific to your case before you begin the process.
Q. What do you file first in adoption in of intent to adopt or termination of parental rights?
A: It depends on whether the adoption is public or private and the relationship of the adopting parent to the child. Every adoption is different. You should contact an attorney with adoption experience to figure out what the first step would be in your particular situation.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
542 Forbes Ave
Suite 400
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Telephone: (412) 350-2402