Free Consultation: (517) 481-3300Tap to Call This Lawyer
Kent Wood II

Kent Wood II

"Helping People When They Need Help The Most"
  • Divorce, Family Law, Estate Planning ...
  • Michigan
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

My mission is to assist clients in making informed and educated decisions with no false representation, and to provide realistic expectations for their outcomes. Over the course of the last several years, I have represented thousands of clients, handled multi-million dollar trusts, and provided pro-bono work for select local residents in need.

Western Michigan University Cooley Law School
J.D. (2007) | Law
Western Michigan University Cooley Law School Logo
Michigan State University
B.A. (2002) | Political Science/Pre-Law
Honors: Graduated with Honor
Michigan State University Logo
Professional Experience
Wood & Associates, PLLC
- Current
Speaking Engagements
Estate Planning Seminars
Community Service Award
State of Michigan
Professional Associations
Michigan State Bar  # 70596
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Practice Areas
Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
Family Law
Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
Estate Planning
Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, Debt Relief
Elder Law
  • English: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. can my spouse cut me off of my accounts for money? Amidst travel during covid, he left me with no means to survive
A: If you are a named account holder, no one can take your name off the account without your permission. BUT, any account holder can empty the account and then take their name off the account or just stop making deposits to the account.

It is difficult when it is "from out of nowhere" like it seems in your circumstances.

I definitely advise reaching out to an attorney for help getting this process started. It is possible to have a child support order in place without getting divorced, but that is an unique process that most individuals would need help to accomplish. I have seen this take up to two months just to start getting payments - back payments would be due - so please don't wait to take action. ... Read More
Q. Can 17 year olds legally leave home and stay with someone else in the state of Michigan?
A: Under Michigan Law a Parent is required to provide for the financial needs of a child until they reach the age of 18, and potentially longer if that child has not graduated from high school yet. This requirement continues whether the child is living in your home or that of another. There is also additional responsibilities of a parent with respect to the child that continues as well such as school attendance.

There are two common ways to allow a child to live with another:

1. The child could be emancipated by the court, but very specific requirements must be met. This option would end the financial responsibilities of the parents as well.

2. A parent legally transfer authority to make major decisions as to health care, school, etc of the child to another via a Power of Attorney for up to 6 months. However, this does not eliminate the financial responsibility of a parent.

A 17 year old could seek emancipation outside of the parents wishes and desires. The parents would be entitled to notice and be able to participate in that process whether in support or against.

There are potentially other concerns that may exist in your situation that are not apparent from your question. You should seek out an attorney for more specific advice. Wood & Associates, PLLC is able to help with these matters as well.
... Read More
View More Answers
Social Media
Websites & Blogs
Wood & Associates
Contact & Map
Wood & Associates P.L.L.C.
901 N. Washington Avenue
Lansing, MI 48906
Telephone: (517) 481-3300
Monday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Friday: 9 AM - 12 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Wood & Associates P.L.L.C.
168 N 20th St
Telephone: (269) 481-5154
Monday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Friday: 9 AM - 12 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Wood & Associates P.L.L.C.
5088 Corporate Exchange BLVD
Suite 200
Grand Rapids, MI 49512
Telephone: (616) 591-0090
Monday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Friday: 9 AM - 12 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed