Free Consultation: (216) 785-0093Tap to Call This Lawyer
Matthew Williams

Matthew Williams

Valore & Gordillo, LLP
  • Criminal Law, DUI & DWI, Domestic Violence ...
  • Ohio
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

As an Ohio attorney, I know the legal system is large, complex, and intimidating. I understand that interaction with government agencies is disorienting and the rules are unclear. If you, a family member, or a friend have been arrested, charged with a crime, are the subject of an investigation, or involved in a dispute with the government, it is in the accused person's best interest to obtain legal representation. As an attorney, my job is to defend your interests, freedom, dignity and reputation and to make sure you understand your rights, the process, and the consequences of your decisions. Do not let the system intimidate you. I am here to help. Don't face it alone. I practice law with a two part philosophy, which I am ready to put to work for you. First, the client is a person. As my client, I will treat you as a person, not as a number, a case, or a wallet. I will give you courtesy and respect and treat your problems with diligent attention. I will work with you to find the most cost effective solution to your problems. Second, the lawyer is an advocate, a guide, and an adviser. I will be your advocate. I will make sure you are not pushed into decisions you do not understand. I will investigate the evidence and claims against you. I will present the evidence and claims in your favor. I will ensure that your rights respected. I will guide you. I will explain the workings of the legal system so you will know what to expect and when to expect it. I will keep you informed of the status and progress of your case. I will advise you. Each step of the way you will face choices about your representation. I will explain each choice, the possible outcomes and potential consequences. It is unethical for an attorney to promise results, but I will tell you which choice I believe is best for your particular circumstances and explain why I believe it is best. Ultimately, you will make the key decisions regarding the direction of your case and I will work hard to achieve

Cleveland State University
J.D. (2013) | Law
Honors: Graduated cum laude.
Activities: Executive Submissions Editor, The Global Business Law Review St. Petersburg Summer Law Institute Internships at the US Attorney's Office, the Cuyahoga County Public Defender, and the Supreme Court of the Seychelles
Cleveland State University Logo
Ohio State University - Columbus
B.A. (2007) | History
Ohio State University - Columbus Logo
Professional Experience
Of Counsel
Valore & Gordillo, LLP
- Current
Solo Practioner
Matt Williams LLC
- Current
Judicial Attorney
Ohio Court of Appeals Eleventh Appellate Distric
Professional Associations
State Bar of Ohio  # 0090709
Placeholder image for professional associations.
West Shore Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Ohio Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Free Consultation
    I am happy to meet with a prospective client in person or over the phone for a consultation. At the end of the consultation, I provide the client with my take on the situation and what can be done to help and address the issue of cost.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, Mastercard. I also accept PayPal.
Practice Areas
Criminal Law
Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
Domestic Violence
Domestic Violence Criminal Defense, Domestic Violence Restraining Orders
White Collar Crime
Appeals & Appellate
Civil Appeals, Federal Appeals
  • English: Spoken, Written
Legal Answers
Q. Can Ohio common pleas courts change sentencing hearings dates without notification?
A: The court is empowered to sentence a defendant immediately following a conviction. If you plead guilty, the judge tells you that as part of the conversation you have before the plea to ensure you know what you are doing. But they usually don't sentence immediately in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas court unless the outcome is predetermined. So, for example, if there is a plea agreement and the agreed upon recommended sentence is 6 years and the judge is inclined to accept that agreement, there really is no point in waiting. Particularly if the defense had mitigation to prepare and present and an expectation of having time to do so, the situation warrants looking into.
Q. Can a student be evicted in the state of Ohio for non payment of rent?
A: Evictions proceed in two phases. The first phase is about possession of the property. The second phase is about money owing. The reason to split it up like that is simple: when you start an eviction proceeding you do not know how much money the tenant owes. Perhaps the house is fine, and it is just a month's rent. Perhaps they ripped out all the pipes and failed to pay for months on end. Until they are out, and you can assess the place, it is hard to calculate. So yes, once you are out they can pursue the second cause of action for unpaid rents and damages.

There is nothing about being a student that exempts you from paying rents or being evicted. This sounds like it may be a friends and family sort of situation rather than a traditional landlord tenant situation given the apparent informality of the terms. A lawyer would have to review all the facts before assessing your exposure on the financials. ... Read More
Q. How can I get my father to pay the past due child support he owes that he never paid .
A: You can talk to the child support enforcement folks at your local prosecutor's office, but he probably owes that money to your mother, not you. So, they would be more likely to listen to her complaint than your complaint. Of course, before encouraging the State to go after your dad you should consider two things: your relationship and whether it will do any good. A court order to pay money is just that: a piece of paper that says you have to do something. Actually enforcing it can get ugly fast and it is possible to go to jail/prison for non-payment of support.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Contact & Map
Valore & Gordillo, LLP
21055 Lorain Road
Cleveland, OH 44126
Telephone: (216) 785-0093
Cell: (216) 200-8625
Fax: (216) 803-8500