Free Consultation: (412) 456-2200Tap to Call This Lawyer
Mr. Paul Richard Sullivan Jr.

Mr. Paul Richard Sullivan Jr.

The Law Office of Paul R. Sullivan, Jr.
  • Employment Law
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

I am a solo practitioner in Pittsburgh, PA. I represent employees in various matters, including employment discrimination, wage and hour complaints, contractual disputes and negotiations, and unemployment appeals.

  • Free Consultation
    Free initial telephone consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Practice Area
Employment Law
Employee Benefits, Employment Contracts, Employment Discrimination, ERISA, Overtime & Unpaid Wages, Sexual Harassment, Whistleblower, Wrongful Termination
Legal Answers
Q. How do I file a job loss claim of age discrimination?
A: Before bringing a law suit for age discrimination, an employee must first file a complaint with an administrative agency. In Pennsylvania,, you may file a complaint of age discrimination with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (if your employer has more than 20 employees), or the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission if your employer does not meet the minimum employee requirement to be covered under federal age discrimination law. You have a limited time to file charges with an administrative agency, so I would advise you to consult an employment attorney near you and move quickly if you believe you've been discriminated against at work.
Q. I got fired and they didn't have any written policies. We were going to be reviewed on the day they fired me
A: Pennsylvania is what is known as an at-will employment state. This means that employers may fire employees at any time, for any non-discriminatory reason. If you have reason to believe you were fired because of discrimination based on your age, race, national origin, religion, gender or disability, you should consult an employee rights attorney in your area.
Q. What do you do when your supervisor tells your coworkers about your medical condition against your wishes
A: Unfortunately, you probably don’t have much recourse at the moment. However, I highly recommend documenting each incident, in case you enter litigation at a later date.

Having evidence that you have been regarded as disabled by your manager would be very valuable, if you’re ever discriminated against based on your medical condition. Merely sharing the fact that you have a medical condition is probably not enough to prove disability discrimination, absent some malicious intent. At this point, I would document all instances of this behavior and if the “sharing” turns malicious or otherwise becomes discriminatory I would complain to your HR department.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck.
View More Answers
Websites & Blogs
Contact & Map
The Law Office of Paul R. Sullivan, Jr.
100 Fifth Avenue
Suite 503
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Telephone: (412) 456-2200